4355 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Standard supplied console with D class?

Bluesuede
Occasional Advisor

Standard supplied console with D class?

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what model console was normally supplied with the D class series? When using HP 700/92 and 700/96 terminal emulators for console access from my PC via the serial port, they fail to display terminal gui tools like sam, swinstall, and even the HP-UX installation tool. VT100 works fine but I'd prefer HP emulation. I was wondering whether there is an issue with the emulators or whether the 700/92 and 700/96 consoles wouldn't support these terminal modes. What would the correct emulation be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Re: Standard supplied console with D class?

We have a 700/96 terminal hooked to our D-class, and it works just fine. Problem must be with the emulators.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

HP-UX will automatically identify the terminal type (hardware or emulator) if you login using /etc/profile. But to be sure, just run the following command:

ttytype -s

Does it report an HP terminal or a VT-something? Emulators can be easily switched to something else, just like HP terminals. The HP 700/9x terminals can be set to HP mode or various VT modes (the settings are EM100, etc). Do NOT under any circumstances hardcode the TERM variable in login profiles--that task is for ttytype to handle. There are thousands of terminals out there and HP-UX does an admirable job (well, the curses library and terminfo database help a lot) in supporting various terminals. But you cannot lie to HP-UX and run an emulator in VT100 mode, then set TERM=hp...you'll just see garbage on the screen, exactly as expected.

The D-series supports all HP terminals from the original 264x series from the 1970's through several dozen models to the present. The model of the computer and the version of HP-UX doesn't care about the terminal type. The menu-style applications such as SAM, swinstall, etc all depend on the value of $TERM which in turn must match the terminal you are using.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bluesuede
Occasional Advisor

Hi and thanks for the reply -

Yes the emulator is detected correctly by the OS, and to all intents and purposes runs fine - except when anything like sam, swinstall etc is started, it bombs out with an error returning you to the command prompt. Mind you - this is only experienced while connected via the serial port. If I run the emulator as a telnet client rather than a direct serial connection, it all works perfectly in HP emulation.

I've tried Powerterm Pro in both 700/92 and 700/96 modes, and both modes fail as described when using a serial console connection. I've also tried QCTerm which is only a 700/92 emulator and the same thing occurs. If I run a terminal emulator in vt100 mode I have no problem. Just struck me as a little odd that firstly they work via telnet for menu style applications without problem, detected by the OS correctly as HP, but when connected via serial, also detected correctly, they fail to display these applications and result in an error as below:

sam: Couldn't bring up the initial window. This may occur when
you specify an incorrect display.

This is why I was wondering whether 700/92 terminals don't display these applications, but I gather that they should do.

Whilst I can get around this problem by just defaulting to a vt100 emulation instead, I'd just really prefer to be doing HP emulation if at all possible.