108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage capacity on A500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Emma_8
Frequent Advisor

Storage capacity on A500

This may sound like a stupid question but I have to post it 'cos I don't know....I have an A500 and am not sure how many disks (internal/external) are used so I need to find out how many. Also this platform (I know its really old) requires an upgrade in terms of storage capacity so need to know what my options would be. For example if there are currently 2 disks on the box then can I just add another 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP 9000. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
There is 2 internal disk bays in the A500, if you need to connect more disks you need an external box. A400 has two external SCSI buses, one ULTRA2 LVD SCSI supporting 15 disks and one Narrow SE (which you should use for tape and not for disks).

There is also 4 PCI card slots which can be used for additional SCSI or FC HBAs.

Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Sorry,
I wrote A400, it should be A500.

A400 and A500 has the same connectivity with exception for only two PCI slots for A400.
Emma_8
Frequent Advisor

Hi Leif

Thanks for your response.

I just had a look at the disks defined on the box thro SAM and can see 12x18GB disks configured so I assume I can potentially add an additional 3 disks to this SCSI. Is it okay to add 3x36GB disks to the same SCSI ?

Thank again
Emma
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Yes, it is possible with up to 15 devics on the same bus (or, to be more exact, 16 device but, the controller reserves one adress).