Just would like to know what type of server can cater this requirement:-

1)10.20 OS
2)LTO 2

thx in adv.....
7 REPLIES 7
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestion of a server

Pretty much any HP 9000 - A, D, E, F, G, H, I, K, R, T, and V series servers not to mention all of the HP 700, B, C, and J series workstations.

Hope this helps.
giriplug
Frequent Advisor

but how about the lto drives?if i were to use a k580.Can i attach lto 1/2 to this box and what are the type of interface i need to use to get it work on the k580?
giriplug
Frequent Advisor

but how about the lto drives?if i were to use a k580.Can i attach lto 1/2 to this box and what are the type of interface i need to use to get it work on the k580?I thought the lto drives can only be used in hpux 11 and above?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

you can run 10.20 on any of the older servers quite easily, especially the K580.

As you know there is no support for 10.20 anymore and the LTO drives have no support either. There are no drivers available that I know of, but never tried it.

If its fully patched upto the latest available then you may be lucky, but I diubt it.

It was hard enough trying to get the DLT8000's to work with 10.20, cumulative sam patches and new stape drivers.

You really would be be better off moving upto 11.0 or 11.i really, even though I know its not what you wanted to hear. Or stick an older drive on the K class. The throughput on the interfaces would be against you aswell as the most you can get out of the K's is 20mbs.

Andy
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I wasn't sure until you mentioned drive on the LTO part, for some reason I was thinking you meant HP-UX 10.20 with a 2 user license...

yea, you're probably stuck with the DLT8000 using 10.20 on the K580.

Sorry for the confusion.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Not only is 10.20 very old (obsolete and unsupported) but the K-class machine probably cannot keep up with this extremely fast tape drive. If you need high capacity, pick a tape drive that has rate adaptive firmware so it can slow down. Otherwise, you'll wear out the mechanism (and your tapes) and backups will take 3-5 times longer than expected. An LTO drive may need 20-30 Mbytes/sec to keep it busy and your old system just can't keep up.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
giriplug
Frequent Advisor

thx guys....