3960 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Superdome/MP Question.

joe_91
Super Advisor

Superdome/MP Question.

Hi:

I am changing jobs and in my new job i have to handle superdomes. I wanted to know more about it as i have currently handled only nclass and and K class servers. Questions..

1. what is MP mode? so how is the single user mode different?

2. Is there GSP?

3. i heard that the model i am going to work on has 64 CPUs. What shd i prepare before going to work? what shd i know about this?

any other points will be useful to know as i have never had a chance to work on MP.

Any help/links would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe Crawford.

4 REPLIES 4
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

MP is the machine processor. It is a successor to GSP in some sense but with a different interface.

MP has nothing to do with the hpux operating system, so comparing it to single user mode is like comparing apples to oranges.

as MP is the GSP replacement, you can find most if not all commands of GSP under this new interface. Navigating thru the initial MP screen/prompt can require a bit of learning but not outrageously hard if you are familiar with GSP.

64 CPU unit is a big chunk. I suppose you will be asked to partition in to several virtual servers (aka nPARS) but as I have no superdome experience, I can not direct you to this or that documnet, but I am sure someone with that background will, shortly.

Hope this helps

Hi Joe,

1. single user mode is independend from hardware - this is hp-ux.

2. The "GSP" of a superdome is called "MP" (management processor). Just the same idea. There are a lot more functions and commands. You have to read the docs about it, because it's quite 'complex'.

3. try to get familiar with cell-based system and npartition architecture. Check out the hardware section on http://docs.hp.com
+ learn some respect to the 2 cabinet box ;-))

Regards
Torsten

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

MP is the new name for GSP. Old servers used to have GSP which is replaced by MP (Management Processor) in new servers.

If you are not invloved to handle the hardware in the new work then I do not think you will require to learn much. But if you intend to maintain the hardware as well then you will require some trainning on it.Also these are highly scalable servers and can be configured as NPAR/VPAR. If these are configured for N/VPAR then your preperation should also include a partitioning guide.

In short you need to brief a little more about the system and your role for us to give to some more idea.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Here are the links for superdome:

http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#HP%209000%20Superdome%20Server

Have a look at
"HP System Partitions Guide: Administration for nPartitions"
and
"Service Processor (GSP or MP) User's Guide".
Should be enough to start...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!