cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Hang Detected via timer popping

Alberto Losa
Occasional Visitor

System Hang Detected via timer popping

Two new HPUX(A Class rp2470) hangs,one while booting and one after 10 min of boot.Error log says "Alert Level 13: System Hang Detected via timer popping".
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Thompson
Advisor

Re: System Hang Detected via timer popping

We have had this exact problem several times. It has always turned out to be that the platform monitor card needed replaced.
Olivier Decorse
Respected Contributor

Hi !
You have to update the GSP firmware and may be your Hardware Enablement Patches. Take a look at this threads :
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=605414
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=198988

Olivier.
They say "install windows 2k, xp or better", so i install unix !
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the Alert Level 13 Message simply means that the GSP does not get heartbeat chassis codes from the operation system (HPUX) => system hang.
This means that the kernel is not running properly anymore. The cause can be either a bad or missing patch or a hardware cause. If it happens during bootup, I would suspect an I/O timeout problem (try unplugging all cables and non boot disks). The best way to troubleshoot this hangs is to enter "tc" on the GSP prompt (CTRL-B on the console) to produce a memory dump. The dump can be analyzed by HP support.
Another possible troubleshooting attempt would be to boot from the install CD to a recovery shell. If the system hangs then, it is a hardware problem with a high chance. You should carefully examine the consolelog ("cl" on the GSP prompt) for error messages.
By the way, a GSP update will not help and the A-Class does not have a platform monitor card (is part of the system card on A-Class/rp24x0).

best regards

Stefan