108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System console for HP-UX 11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael D. Zorn
Regular Advisor

System console for HP-UX 11

We're having a new HP9000 / rp3410 server installed. The techs said we can use a LAN connection through the "LAN 10/100" port to do configuration. Afterwards I wondered why I'd need that extra port when I can telnet through the regular ethernet line. I haven't tried Hummingbird yet, but since both telnet and ftp connect, that should also.

Is anyone else using that secondary LAN port?
5 REPLIES 5
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: System console for HP-UX 11

Michael,

Not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, but we use the ethernet port on the MP card in order to access the console directly. Some benefits are that you can place it on a separate network. You can telnet directly into the console from anywhere on your network, etc...

Hope this helps.
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

That secondary lan port is for the Guardian Service Processor that give you out of band management. You can look at the chasis logs, check the warning light from the VFP (Virtual Front Panel) and do things like a reset or if you telnet to the box and issue a shutdown -hy. Otherwise you have no way, short of going to the box and pressing the reset switch, to get it to reboot. With the secondary LAN port hooked up and functioning you don't have to go to the console, you can telnet to it and issue the rs (reset) command for example. Might save you a trip at 2:00 AM some morning to reset a hung system, if you have a VPN etc to access the LAN from home.
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Connecting through the LAN NIC doesn't give you console access. The ethernet port on the GSP/MP allows you to have remote telnet (and SSH if it's supported and licensed on some models) access to the console. Saves having to be onsite to work in single-user mode or other things that require console access, but may not require any other physical, hands-on access to the system. Very useful.
--
Jeff Traigle
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Michael D. Zorn
Regular Advisor

(Kent's link goes to a "not found" page)

Thanks, everybody. It looks like the main advantage of that is when you need to do admin stuff from another location (when the server's in the basement).

In my case, it's right here in the lab, so it looks like I can do everything with a telnet (or better, Hummingbird) connection.