1753448 Members
5886 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System is not booting.

Rajeev Andrews
Advisor

System is not booting.

When I am re-booting KClass-9000 machine,I am getting the following error message

Resetting the Boot Device
Error returned from boot device error
Status returned from driver = -4
Information returned from Driver

It's showing some hexa decimal values

Boot device error:Reading Utility into memory

After that it's returning into the IPL prompt.We tried to give hpux vmunix.prev but getting the same result.

Is it's the problem with HDD or because of any os corruption.

Please advice

Thanks & REgards
Rajeev Andrews
4 REPLIES 4
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Re: System is not booting.

Hi,
Was there any root disk mirror?
If not I am afraid that the root disk is failed. also verify your the primary boot path. do "sea IPL" from BDC to search for boot disks and try to boot from that.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
DCE
Honored Contributor

It could wither a hard drive issue or data corruption. Try booting off of your mirror (if you have one)

The only other thing you could try short of replacing the disk is to boot off of the recovery CD. There are a couple of options that will allow you to access the drive if it not too badly corrupted, and it has a couple of options that allow you to try to repair the disk if it is corrupted.

Dave
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Rajeev,
When you boot the server, stop it at BCH (Boot Control Handler, "press any key in 10 seconds....") and type in SEA IPL. This will search the system for disks with bootable operating systems on them. You will probably see your questionable drive, look for an additional one past that.

I hope you have a good, recent backup.

Good Luck - Tim

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Just in case it is the OS, use the -is option to boot into single user mode if you don't have a mirror of root.
Mom 6