108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: T600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

T600

I ahve a t600 and I am trying to boot from ignite tape. I discontinue boot sequence but the search ipl does not work. How do I search for a boot device so I can boot from tape?
UNIX IS GOOD
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Robert,

If you know the path of the tape device, you can enter it directly without searching for it. If you don't know the path, you could always re-boot in normal mode (or single user mode to save a little time) and look it up with ioscan.

Pete

Pete

does just a 'sea' work? Tape drives are pretty easy to spot in sea output as they show up as sequential rather than random access devices.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

On which system was this archive created. Is this a ignite archive from this category of server.

What is the result of a simple search "sea" for all the hardware at the boot prompt instead of a "sea ipl" command.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

I think u folks have misunderstood. I know about all of the search sequences on the K's and N's. And I know I can reboot and run ioscan and I know that if I had the h/w path I could boot from path. The problem is, the system is without an OS right now. I've done this on a T a few years ago. I just cant remember how to do it.
UNIX IS GOOD
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Robert,

Yep those old beasts had SPs (Service Processor) and the sequence is different.
You need to know the HW path of the tape drive. Then halt the boot at the 10 second warning & it will query

Continue with primary boot path? ([y]/n/)>

At this point you can either answer N & then again on alt path query & it will prompt for path - OR - you can enter the new path directly
Should be either
0/52.0.0
or
0/36.0.0
depending on whether you have standard SCSI or Fast/Wide SCSI disks respectively.

This is all spelled out here in the HW manual:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/1019/A1809-90009.pdf

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jeff,That worked. I couldn't remember the H/W path of the Tape Drive. I'm ok now. Thank You
UNIX IS GOOD