HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748283 Members
3727 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tell 7410 and 8400 not to start after power loss?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Tell 7410 and 8400 not to start after power loss?

Howdy,

On our newer systems we can use the PR command in the GSP (Power Restore Policy) to control whether or not the system starts up after a power loss. Is there any way to do that for a 7410 and an 8400? Neither has a PR command in the GSP, nor any other command that seems to do the same thing.

We experienced a UPS failure where power was instantaneously cut and upon restart the applications that kicked off caused a great deal of work to be needed to back out subsequent transactions.

If I can't find a way to tell the system not to start up after a power loss, then I'm going to have to attempt to script detection of an unclean shutdown during system start-up so that those applications can be skipped instead of being started. And as easy as you're probably thinking that is, it will get *really* messy given all the varied conditions of partial shutdowns that lose power before completing, so I'd really prefer to avoid that.

Hockey PUX?
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Did you try the setboot command? (man setboot)
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Thanks, but I don't think that's enough -- if I turn off autoboot, won't that also cause the system to not boot after a 'shutdown -ry 0' command either? If so that wouldn't help me, as we do a regularly scheduled reboot that I don't want to babysit.
Hockey PUX?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Not sure since shutdown has -r and -h options. So if shutdown can force a halt maybe it can force a reboot. If you have a server to try it maybe it is worth it. If I get a chance I 'll try it myself tomorrow.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

As you have seen, there is no PR in the processor ROM code for rp7400/rp8400. I believe there are several different (and not backward compatible) design changes in the hardware to support PR. So the answer is to use setboot in your reboot procedures. autoboot should always be turned off when the system boots up. Then during scheduled maintenance, your reboot script (read: not shutdown -r) will take care of setting autoboot and performing shutdown -r 0. The system will reboot and autoboot gets turned off again.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

D'OH! Thanks to both of you. Bill, I read your message about ten times before it actually sank in. The first several times I read it I actually thought you had accidentally said autoboot should always be off when you really meant 'on'. Guess my brain was stuck. :-)

And for anyone else who might get similarly stuck later, the solution is (as Bill said in different words) to keep the system normally set NOT to boot, and then have your scheduled reboot script override that every time.
Hockey PUX?