New Discussion юеВ

Terminal Type 11.23 Install RP5470

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Talaga
Advisor

Terminal Type 11.23 Install RP5470

Hello all,

I am attempting to do a Cold Install of 11.23 on a RP5470 with a local terminal attached. When I boot to the DVD Media, the installation menu is displaying improperly just as it does in a shell when the terminal type is wrong. I am assuming this is the case.

I found instruction on updating the terminal type via GSP, using CA. It was set to vt100, so I changed it to hpterm, exited GSP and the installation menu continued to display wrong.

Can someone please clarify if I am using the right method to correct the improper terminal setting during the install of 11.23? Once I make the change in GSP, do I have to restart the installation process to get the terminal change to take effect?

Thank you much for your expertise.

--John
5 REPLIES 5
cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Terminal Type 11.23 Install RP5470

Which terminal model are you using? We used a vt220 with these settings to install 11.23 on our rp5470:

Local Console Serial Port bit rate: 9600 bits/s
Local Console Serial Port Flow Control: Software
Local Console Serial Port Terminal Type: vt100

Can you clarify what "displaying improperly" means? Is it all garbage or just scrolling off of the screen, etc..?

Rgds,

John Talaga
Advisor

Hello cnb,

Thanks for helping.

The terminal type needed to be set to hpterm, and apparently to get this to take effect, a reboot of the system is required. As soon as I rebooted, with the correct value for term in the GSP, it displayed the installation screen fine.

To answer your question, when I say it was not displaying correctly, I mean that all the characters were displaying, but all spacing, tabs, newlines, etc. were replaced with random characters, so all text was displayed on one line.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

--John
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Yes, most times you have to restart the login process
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
John Talaga
Advisor

I suppose if I had just tried to reboot before I posted, I would have saved some time, but better that I ask the experts.

Thanks for the help.
John Talaga
Advisor

Thanks again.