Re: Third-party RAM and Disks for rp5450 and rp7400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Third-party RAM and Disks for rp5450 and rp7400

Folks,

I have two questions:
1) Will the HP hardware support become void if I choose to add Kingston RAM and replace the HP internal 36GB disks with the 73GB disks?

2) If the answer to question 1 is NO then where can I find a reliable vendor to purchase 73GB hot-swappable internal disks for my rp5450 and rp7400 (as for Kingston memory, I turn to cdwg.com.)

Thanks.

Hai
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, but HP won't support non-HP parts either. If you have a problem that points to RAM, for example, HP will not troubleshoot further until all non-HP RAM is removed from the system by the customer. If the problem goes away with the non-HP RAM removed, HP washes their hands of the problem.

Getting the correct disks for systems can be rather tricky. With the firmware dependencies that HP engineers into the systems, it's safest to go with HP hardware. You can get these from 3rd-parties in the used-equipment business, however. Lots of them around that sell HP9000 systems and parts. Depending where you live, you could probably find a local one in the phone book. Several keep products for sale on Ebay constantly too. It would probably be worthwhile to check those sources for used HP RAM prices too... if they are comparably priced with the Kingston RAM, you'd save money and still be able to get HP support on it.
--
Jeff Traigle
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

Thanks for yoru quick reply. My other question is whether HP replaces the HP parts (internal disks, RAM) that I have bought from other vendors which later fails assuming that I do have a HP hardware support contract. Thanks.

Hai
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

As long as you cover the HP parts under your contract, they'll troubleshoot and replace them the same as if they'd sold them to you. We buy used systems and parts like this nearly exclusively and maintain support contracts through HP.
--
Jeff Traigle
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I have purchased quite a bit of used hardware and non-HP disks for some of my systems from Abtech Systems.

http://www.abtechsys.com/

They have been very reliable and their parts have been as well.

You may be able to get used HP memory from them for much less money than new HP memory and that would then be covered under your maintenance contract.