HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753783 Members
7030 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPDATING PDC

UPDATING PDC

REGARDS, I HAVE A RP 5450 L CLASS SERVER AND I WANT TO KNOW IF THERES A DOCUMENT OR GUIDE TO TEACH ME THE PROCEDURE TO UPDATE THE PDC OF THE SERVER OR IF THERE IS SOMEONE TO TELL ME HOW TO DO IT.

THANKS TO ALL, I'LL APRECIATE YOUR HELP.
3 REPLIES 3
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i never did any update. But sysrev will list the current PDC level.
the recent update we did is PDC version to 17.009 and MP version to 4.025.

FW command should take you throug that process.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Santhosh, a rp5450 does not even *have* a MP.
It has an earlier version of the same technology known as GSP, which does not have the facilities for upgrading the PDC firmware.

The PDC firmware upgrades on a rp5450/L-class can be done in two ways: either by installing a special patch (PHSS_32704 for HP-UX 11.00, and PHSS_32705 for 11.11) or by creating and using a bootable upgrade tape.

HP engineers may have bootable upgrade CDs for their own use only: they are not allowed to give these special CDs to customer in any case. (These CDs apparently contain the firmwares for many devices, and selecting a wrong firmware update is a quick way to turn a server system board into an expensive paperweight.)

If you use the patch method, the patch description includes the installation instructions: read them. If you download the patch package, when you run e.g. "sh PHSS_32705" to unshar it, it will create two files: PHSS_32705.depot which is the actual patch, and PHSS_32705.text which contains the instructions.

If you use the tape method, the instructions are included in the "Release Notes" of the downloadable firmware kit. Check the sub-titles "CREATING THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE TAPE" and "FIRMWARE UPGRADE PROCEDURE" on this page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=2512033&swItem=PF-CRHW4428&prodNameId=322777&swEnvOID=7&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

MK
MK
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

its relativly easy and all the instructions are in the patch details as already mentioned.

which ever method you choose, you will need to reboot the server and have downtime if its in use.

if it has no OS(hpux) on it at the moment then you can only do it with a tape drive attached, after creating the bootable tape on a unix machine.

Andy