1748123 Members
3238 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to boot 10.20 on K580 box

Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

Unable to boot 10.20 on K580 box

I ran into an issue with loading 10.20 on a K580 box. The error from the beginning was the processor's timed out, then scanning system for IO devices errored with I/O hardware probe timed out at path 8/0 which is the HSC scsi card A2969A. Is the card the whole problem or is it the K580 box and 10.20? Thanks
20 REPLIES 20
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HPUX 10.20 should run an a K580.

Was the hardware modified before you tried to install 10.20?

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

In many cases, not a defect card is the cause of a "hardware probe timed out" but a bad cable or terminator (internal terminator missing is also a likly problem) or a defect external disk or tape. Unplugg all external cables and boot from CD to verify if it is an external cable or disk problem.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed,

Check you scsi card for termination. Try and install the system with minimum configuration with only internal disk drives if possible, terminate all the scsi ports on the HSC cards are see if the installation works. Most of the time i've obs the problem is due to improper scsi termination.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the input and I will try the scsi termination method. This is a standalone machine, meaning Its only for disaster testing. So no cables were plugged in to the cards,except for the console cable of course. It was just the OS 10.20 and the internal disk. Although it did boot to 11.0 and I did nothing different. So in short I will try and terminate all the scsi cards which is 3 HSC and 1 parallel card and retry 10.20.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

You HAVE TO terminate 68pin SCSI connector which is located on Core IO itself (not in its expansion slot). Why? Because it is the bus where internal, usually boot disks are sitting at. If this bus is unterminated in most cases you will not be able to even install HPUX (and what you have now)
Eugeny
Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

Why I am able to install 11.0 on this same server? I did nothing different in the config from 10.20 to 11.0?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Ed:

Is the "TERM PWR" LED on the A2969A on?

###########################################

Are you connecting the A2969A to internal disks or a JBOD? Switch to JBODS if internal.

I.e. A3312AZ JBOD

###########################################

Please run these diagnostics and attach results:

- bo pri
- interact with IPL?
- yes
- ISL>ODE
- ODE> mapper
- ODE> iotest
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

tried the interact with ISL and was unable to issue ODE. It comes back with not an isl utility. Back to what I was doing, incase I steered wrong. I am on a standalone machine trying to install 10.20. Currently in the machine are 3 scsi HSC cards as mentioned above, 1 parallel scsi. When I go to the CD, it tries to install but times out on the first HSC card it comes to on 8/0. hardware probe timeout. I tried terminating all cards and still same effect. I used SE scsi term, diff scsi term, I took all cards out, terminated core i/o scsi. Still when systems scans hardware it times out. Although it loads 11.0 or 11.i with no problems. Any other suggestions out there.......HELP
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

What's the date on your version of HP-UX 10.20?
What are the chances...