New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade CPU for K580

SOLVED
Go to solution
Didier Rox
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade CPU for K580

Hi,

I'm running a HP9000 K580 with 4 x PA8200 v2 at 240MHz CPU.
Is it possible to upgrade the box with faster CPUs?

Thanks,
Didier

5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade CPU for K580

Hi Didier,

Sorry, no the 240 Mhz is the fastest PA8200 cpu.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The K580 is the top-of-the-line highest speed K-class, but it can support up to 6 CPUs, so you could add 2 if you want.

Josh
What are the chances...
Dana Collins
Occasional Advisor
Solution

As per the responses above you can only use 240MHz CPU and a maximum of 6 processors.

What I would like to point out, however, is that if you decide to use all six processors that you will not be able to use the second HSC expander. That is the trade-off: more CPU or open up another 160MB/s HSC bus for I/O performance.

I hope this helps with your decision.

By the way, here is a chart that will help you (click on "K-Class" for the chart:

http://www.abtechsys.com/hp_servers/hp_servers.html

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am Sr. Product Manager for that company.

Good luck!
Didier Rox
Occasional Contributor

My problem is CPU speed: process running on this system is pure monothread and is not taking advantage of multiprocessing.

My solutions are : either get a multi threaded / multi processor process or choose another, faster CPU, 10.20 platform.

Many thanks to all of you.

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I you can run your application on HP-UX 11.11 then you can use new fast processors like the pa-8700+ at 875MHz or the dual core pa-8800 at up to 1 GHz. You may wish to look at the rp3410 with 1-2 CPUs if you are looking at low cost and not many I/O slots or expansion, or the rp3440. http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/entry_level/index.html
If you can recompile for Itanium 2, (HP-UX 11.23) then uniprocessor performance is even better on the 1.5GHz Itanium 2 processor in the rx2600. If more I/O is needed then check out the rx4640.
Mom 6