4386 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade firmware of the Core I/O on a K Class Server

rony_8
Occasional Advisor

Upgrade firmware of the Core I/O on a K Class Server

Dear all,

i just upgrade the firmware of the Core I/O on the K260 Sever but when trying to boot the system after the process finished,a problem occured.In fact the system could not boot and a message on the LCD has been noticed "proceeding to turn DC On".I replaced the system board then tried to boot the system but i've got a message on the LCD regarding CPU01 and the system could not boot.
What i need to know is if the firmware is installed on the system board or/and on CPU(s),and if all CPUs could be damaged because of the firmware installation.

Thanks for your cooperation
i appreciate that

regards
11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Rony,

did the process finish without any error or warning?
The latest firmware for the K260 is here:

http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CMHK4133&context=firmware:cpu

The PDC firmware resides on the systemboard, not on the core I/O card or CPU. If you replace the systemboard, you have to check the firmware again.

If your system freezes with LCD message "proceeding to turn DC On" unplug power and reseat all cards (CPU, power monitor etc..).
Where did you get the new system board? From what kind of server? The several K-Class systemboards are totally different! You can't use a card from a server different from K250/260! Also the type of CPU must fit!
Please have a look at the part numbers!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rony_8
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten,

First of all,the process completed successfully and i received a message to notify me that the firmware has been upgraded and the system needs to be rebooted.

The P/N of the system board who replaced the old one is A3284-60010 and it fits the K260 Server.

Finally,i can not check the firmware of the new system board because of the failure booting.
I mean by failure booting that i can see on the LCD that tests begin but sometimes the memory test freezes and sometimes the test process gives a FLT regarding CPU : DEV BOOT CPU0 so i replaced the CPU in slot0 but the same problem persists.

Waiting for your reply
thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Try to use only one pair of memory and one cpu. reseat the power monitor card (unplug power first). Compare the DIP switch settings and components (e.g. oscillator) with the old board. post the FLT code.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BTW, you should transfer the eeprom chip called PAL chip from the old board to the new one. This chip holds the system specific information.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi rony,

the pdc is held on the system backplane like torzten has said.
I have seen this happen a few times when server stops at this point. usually unplugging the power supply and reseating it fixes the problem, however we once had to replace the core io board.

Also so you know there is a bank of 4 switches on the system board near the crystal and pal chip.
These should be set the same as the one you removed, and the crystal the same frequenzy.
I suspect that this is the problem with the cpu's error. probably set wrong and with wrong crystal.
If the part number on the pal chip is the same then there should be no need to change it.
Either, A2375-80401 or A2375-80801, this dictates how many hppb slots are available.

Try reseating all cards and procs making sure a good contact at all points. Building up a minimum system if you have to. one cpu,power management pca, core io and psu

post abck with the chassis codes and lcd codes if this fails

Andy
rony_8
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten and Andrew,

i appreciate your help but unfortunately i could not solve the problem yet.

I checked the bank of 4 switches and i found that they are similar to those existed on the bad board already removed.

About the PAL switch wich needs to be replaced as per Torsten,i did not find it:
i checked the board there is only the bank of 4 swithes.

Finally,i removed the cage containing HDDs,DVD,... and i left the memories,1 CPU,Core I/O and the PSU then i powered the Server ON,the test process began and the CPU passed its test but once arriving to the " TEST 2021 Cache 0 " the system is freezing and no more tests appear.

P.S: 1-During the test process,there is
no display on the console
2-No FLT appears but only the
system is freezing on the test
as shown above
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Rony,

you will have a console output if you switch the key to "service".

The system does a instruction cache test while it is freezing. Maybe a bad cpu.

But the PAL is a chip, not a switch. It's located just beneath the dip switch, between the switch bank and the clock oscillator crystal. You also should transfer the crystal from the old board to the new one.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

rony_8
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten,

I've just transfered the crystal and the PAL chip from the old board to the new one but still have the same problem : the system is freezing when arriving to the
"TEST 2021 Cache 0".

After that i replaced the CPU then try to boot the system,in fact it is not freezing anymore on the test as described before but it gives error message on the LCD : "FLT 7200 memory" even if i change memories.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The 7xxx errors came from memory - no slave memory controller avail.

AFAIR the slave resides on the memory carrier. Did you insert the lower carrier properly?

Your firts CPU seems to be bad, perhaps the carrier too? This cannot caused by a firmware update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.