1748210 Members
3780 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using Terminal Emulation for HP9000 Console

benindo
Occasional Contributor

Using Terminal Emulation for HP9000 Console

I'm using my notebook with WRQ Reflection Terminal Emulation S/W as a console of HP9000 D250, it emulate HP700/92 Terminal. Connection between my notebook to the HP9000 is via RS232 serial connection.

But when I try to install HP-UX from scratch, I always get WARN 0008 on the LED Panel of the HP9000 D250. Nothing displayed on my notebook.

Could anyone of you help me. Thanks.

benindo
8 REPLIES 8
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Does this work on any other server?

What kind of serial cable?

I thought the "console" of a d-class was a graphics console, but I could be wrong, not having used one for many many years.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The vast majority of D-class servers are serial consoles. Your choice of WRQ software and 700/92 emulation is just fine. Did you use the special RS-232 cable? There are two, totally incompatible cables in the world of serial communications, a modem cable (sometimes called a straight through cable) and a cross-over or null-modem cable. Since you are connecting two computers together, you must use a cross-over cable. At the computer shop, it is often called a serial printer cable.

Settings for Reflection will be 9600 baud unless someone has changed the D250's internal settings.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
benindo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bill & Harry,

I use "USB to RS232 Cable), connect it to my notebook's USB port, the other end (RS232 9 pin) I connect it to the console port of the HP9000 D250. The cable come with the drivers and I have installed it in my notebook, and it recognized the USB Port as COM4 port. I'm not sure whether the RS232 is a straight through cable or cross as you mention, the doc does not mention at all about it.

So, probably you are right, it is a straight through cable, so I need to put a converter at the end to make it cross. Let me buy the converter first and try.

Cheers,
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Wow: USB-to-serial. So the first question: has this USB adapter ever worked before? I would treat this is purely experimental until proven to work. Does your laptop not have a serial port? If not,continue experimenting by changing the cable or putting a null modem adapter in place.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

You will definitely need to put a serial crossover cable in between of the usb2serial adapter and the D-class's serial port.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
benindo
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this is my first experiment using USB to RS232 Cable. My notebook (Toshiba Satellite A50) do not have serial port.

Let me try your suggestion.
regards,
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

I was having the same problem on my notebook, you need to buy a laplink RS232 cable !!!

Stf ;-)
benindo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bill/Florian/Stf,

Finally it works after I put the reverse connector to make crosscable as you told me.
Thanks a millions.

Best Regards,
Benindo