Natesan_1
Frequent Advisor

Using remote access port for connecting serial devices

Configuration:
=============
RP3440 Server with HPUx 11.11

Reuirement:
===========

Customer wanted to configure the Remote access port for connecting Serial device.Can any one test this option so far?.Thank for reply in Advance
INVENT
15 REPLIES 15
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Using remote access port for connecting serial devices

Hi Natesan,

Are you trying to configure a modem for remote access? In that case the thread given below may help you. Look at the answer from Trevor Roddam.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=105146

Regards,
Syam
Natesan_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Syam,

I want to connect serial device not modem.I want configure a serial port device file for remote access port and connect the device.

I got one ITRC document which talks about only creating modem devices.

Can we allow to configure serial terminal devices.

INVENT

Hi,

Yes many peoples are using this functionality. Especially remote support team of HP, they normally connects to the MP through a serial modem for remote diagonosis. As this is required by your customer, connecting to the normal serial port is enough.
You can very well connect a modem to one of the serial port and configure the system for a 'dial in'. I would prefer a standard HP modem for this purpose

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Natesan,

Hewlett Packard PCI Multiplexer is a high-speed serial communications multiple port product available in two flavors J3592A/A6748A (8-port Mux) and J3593A/A6749A (64-Port Mux). Along with several different modular components, these cards provide multiple serial ports which can be configured in a variety of combinations, to satisfy most applications.

Models are:

PCI 64-port Terminal Multiplexer A6749A
PCI 8-port Terminal Multiplexer A6748A

Hope this info would help you.

Also See the Server Specs for rp3440
here. You can find the type of cards supported for serial terminal devices here.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12035_div/12035_div.HTML

All the available features are given in this document.

Regards,
Syam
Natesan_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil,

I want to connect the serial device (like terminal) not modem. How to create deivcefile for remote access port and use that device file for access serial terminal devices?.. (I don't want use modem)
INVENT
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Natesan,

See the online doc below on configuring HP-UX Peripherals.

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90053/ch03.html

HTH

Regards,
Syam

Hi,

Are u going to use the serial port of the server or with some kind of Terminal servers.

I would recommend you to go step by step throgh this doc, "http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90698/ch04.html". Since your exact requirement is not totally described, this doc will defenitely going to help you.

Regards,
Sunil

Oh Sorry,
I didn't really seen that shyam has already refered the same, doc.

This is a good one, follow that, if u have any queries u can mail me on 'sunilkumar.vs@sify.com'

Regards,
Sunil
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Natesan,

As I posted last time there are supported MUX cards available for rp3440 which will help you to setup the required terminal devices. I havent tried using an MDP panel with rp3440 as dumb terminals are very rarely used in today's world as PC prices are very less now a days and dumb terminals can be replaced with good terminal emulation softwares which are freely available.

You may also ask your friends Sunil.K.U / Monahasundaram @Emitac.. I believe, they will be able to help you better than any one... :-)

Regards,
Syam