108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V2250 Fault light blinking

SOLVED
Go to solution
JDL_2
Advisor

V2250 Fault light blinking

Does anybody know how to stop the fault light bar of a VClass? I thought maybe something like clearing a log much like going into GSP on an N and L class server. I found out that there was a LPMC parity error and then a root disk had a hickup. I also had reports on cstm that a path leading to a fibre mux is logging errors. I power cycled the box and the jamaicas where the root disk in question is, and I went ahead and power cycled the mux's as well. The box came up okay and all is working but the light bar still flashes. I issued an pce_util -b on the test console as sppuser and it did not help. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your pce_util command didn't work, you might still have a problem in the box. The light bar will also flash if there is an environmental problem, such as high temperature. Are all of your fans working on the system?

JP
JDL_2
Advisor

Hi John,

Yes all the fans work in the box. There are also 2 others next to it and all 3 are only about 1 1/2 feet apart. The other 2 are okay. Where else can I go to find out if there's anyhing wrong with the box?
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You might need to call HP then if your light bar is still flashing. I used to have some docs about the V-class boxes but I can't find them. They are probably stuck away in a box somewhere.

Your post reminds me about our V-class boxes, which are coming to an end. We got our first V-class box in May of 1998, and we had three at one point. We've replaced them with rp8400 boxes, and the last V is going out the door Saturday. I'm gonna miss the big old lugs. A V-class box may not be the fastest thing going anymore [not even close], but they sure look like they should be fast. I always loved powering one up and how all the fans start going, and all the noise the thing makes. You really had a sense of firing up some serious hardware when they start up.

JP
JDL_2
Advisor

Yeah John, I know what u mean. Ours are ready to go really soon but I'm trying to still maintain it until we power them off permanently. These have served us since 1998 as well and it is just that time. They are going early next year and I have to move her to a new home, rp7400 and her data moved over to newer disks. I need her up until the migration date. Unfortunately we do not have support for this box anymore because she's only historical data but the company needs her running for a couple more years. Thanks again for your input John. I'd like to here more from others who may have any ideas. Thanks again.
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Hi,
did you ever read the error status of the box? If not, post the output of pce_util and we will see what the system tries to tell us.
In the pce_util output is a field called LEDS. You will find the meaning of this code in the manual page of leds (man leds)
Certain error conditions prevent to switch of the error state of the light bar.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
JDL_2
Advisor

Hi Patrick,

Here is the ouput from pce_util -b. I tried it a couple of times and all that changes is that there is a "B" after 0x71. I did a man on leds but I could not make anything of it. Thanks for your help.

pce_util: new node list: 0
Complex name is Default_complex
Node Clocks LEDS @C U SHPT Supply 1 Supply 2 Supply 3 Supply 4
---- ------ ------------- ---- ------ -------- -------- -------- --------
0 Normal ATTN 0x71 21 1 0000 Nominal Nominal Nominal Nominal
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

0x71 is one of the power supplies (do nto remember which ne). Check that all are connected, turned on and functioning. BTW, there's a switch on one of boards which controls power redundancy. Check it
Eugeny
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
As Eugeny already explained failed one of your 48V power supplies. When you enter the following command on your system support processor:
man leds | grep 71
is the output:
71 NPSUR failure (When viewed from Node front)

(71 is the error code in your LED field of the pce_util output)

NPS: node power supply
UR: upper right

You will see max. 4 power supplies in the system when you open up the large panel on the front. The upper right reported an error
Power failures need to be reseted before you can switch the light bar to solid. This reset is usually a power cycle. This prevents the system from acting like a yo-yo in case of a serious power problem (powering up, report a serious power problem, going down, power back on, reporting the problem, going down...)
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
JDL_2
Advisor

Hope everybody had a nice holiday! Patrick, thanks for explaining the output of the pce_util mean. We power cycle'd the box just before I issued the pce_util command and right before I posted this thread. It did not reset the blinking led. Do you think a couple more power cycles will do? Eugeny, thanks for the tip regarding the switch on the board. Will this disable the alert signal from the bad power supply?