1753511 Members
5115 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V2600 with 10GB memory configuration

Fedon Kadifeli
Super Advisor

V2600 with 10GB memory configuration

We have a V2600 server with 6 GB memory (48x128MB DIMMs) and 4 memory boards and we want to install additional 4 GB memory (32x128MB DIMMs) and up to 4 additional memory boards we have at hand. The resulting memory capacity will be 10 GB memory (80x128MB DIMMs) and any needed number of memory boards.

According to HP documentation this is not possible, because we have to have either 2, 4 or 8 boards and memory should be distributed evenly (in multiple of 4) on these boards.

Is there anybody who has used 80x128MB DIMMs in any undocumented fashion?

You can use the following command to see your current memory configuration:

echo 'selclass qualifier\
memory;info;wait;infolog' | cstm \
>/tmp/meminfo.txt

8 REPLIES 8
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Fedon, I have never used the 80x128MB scenario but if that doesn't work, you could always get 6 of the A5082A 2GB memory sets for the V2600 (48x256MB dimms). This will get you 12GB within the recommended HP memory config for the V2600. There relatively cheap out in the used market.

Hope this helps
Jesse
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Actually there are 2 supported 10GB configurations:

64x 128MB + 64x 32MB DIMMs

16x 128MB + 32x 256MB DIMMs

If I remember Correctly, if you don't load memory evenly, then the system will just deconfigure memory, so loading 10GB will just result in 2GB being deconfigured. (bringing the system to a "supported" configuration)

The easiest thing to do would be to buy 32 more 128MB DIMMs to raise you to 12GB.

Josh
What are the chances...
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Hello again, Fedon.

Just for reference, here's the memory upgrade guide from HP. You probably already have it, but just in case....

http://docs.hp.com/en/A3730-90001/A3730-90001.pdf

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Fedon Kadifeli
Super Advisor

Thanks for the replies. Do you have any rough idea of the price of the "32 more 128MB DIMMs" in the used market? I live in Turkey, so I do not think I will be able to find second-hand memory. I have just asked HP for their price in their stock, but I am not very optimistic in the price they will give to me...
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Check ebay.com - search A3732A for the 1GB memory and A5082A for the 2GB memory. There is an auction in the UK for 8 A3732A's for GBP 199.00.
Fedon Kadifeli
Super Advisor

We decided to buy the used (second-hand) A3732A's from eBay. Since these are used, I do not expect all DIMMs to be in good shape and working perfectly. So I need to test them before using. Assuming that I remove the currenly installed DIMMs from the memory carriers of my system and populate them with these DIMMs, what is the recommended method of testing the DIMMs? Is there a command to run from Test Station for doing extensive memomy tests?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Fedon,

the memory is tested during POST, but you may use diagnostics to run a memory stress test.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

I assume you know about xconfig and telling the system to include all memory after installing it. Other than that, you can run mstm, select the line for memory, and run the exercise tool.

Josh
What are the chances...