108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: W cable A5191-63001 wiring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Finis Conner
Advisor

Hi Bill. Yes, this only would work if I've a fast response... With regard the UPS, may be I've not said in this thread that I'm at Argentina, so the shipment cost, even without the batteries, may be too high. I was thinking that some guy with electronics knowledge could design a small device that detects the falls on power, and sends via RS232 a simple signal, using a microcontroller. At the machine side, a simple C routine could be listening, and in the event detected, send the shutdown signal. This could finish all the hassle with UPSs and softwares that can't understand each other. What do you think? Could be good bussiness! :-) Regards.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Have you measured the time required to shutdown your server? It will require at least 20 to 200 seconds to shutdown your server. So unless you can find some sort of UPS to keep power supplied for a couple of minutes, your server instantly halts when power is removed. Nothing in memory is saved.

So back to the original solution: rewrite your application with checkpoints, saving intermediate results in a file every few seconds. Then if power disappears, you reboot and tell your program to start at the last checkpoint.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Finis Conner
Advisor

Bill, you are right, the time required to shut down is too long; so the best is save at disk every some second or minutes... Shame that UPSs technologies are so incompatible between them. Could HP-UX get corrupted (as to need reinstall) if server is shut down not gracefully? Cheers.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Any power fail has the potential to corrupt a filesystem. That's why you have a tape backup or a dd (drd if you are running 11.23 or later) copy of your boot disk on another disk.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin