Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Remote Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Goetz
Advisor

Web Remote Console

Can you access a servers console through a Web Remote Console when the server is down? Does it work like the GSP on a rp7400 series?
6 REPLIES 6
David DeWitt_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Web Remote Console

John,

I doubt it, but it would definately depend on what you mean by "down". If it is completely powered off, then definately not. If I understand your question correctly it sounds like it must be down on a TCP/IP level (can't ping) and thus no. Can you specify what you mean by down?

-dave
John Goetz
Advisor

Example: can you shutdown the server with a shutdown -h command and watch it through the Web Remote Console all the way until you get the message "System has halted
OK to turn off power or reset system
UNLESS "WAIT for UPS to turn off power" just like if you were in a console.
David DeWitt_2
Frequent Advisor

Dear John,

Dear, dear john. By the time you read these lines I'll be gone...

I don't mean to be rude, but judging from your profile you have never tried to help anyone else and rarely even take time to assign points.

A. Clay Stevenson seems to be downright saintly. Perhaps he has the answer you seek. I do not.

-dave
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

John, - David's point is - go back through your requests and assign points. It's pretty easy to find everything you've ever requested from your forums profile.

Re: your question of the Web Console. Absolutely you can shutdown your system and interact with it as it boots up. I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of web console - otherwise you could just telnet into a working system -right? Anyway Web Console is a good (albeit slow) product for doing exactly what you're asking.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
William Baines
Frequent Advisor

Hi John,

I've been using the Secure Web Console option on our three N-Class servers for years now. They have their own separate 10-BaseT network connection, so you can monitor shutdown and startup sequences, which I do often. You can also scroll back through a 20k buffer and up to four people can view the console at the same time.

The GSP is a separate system built into the rp7400's that is accessed thorough the console device.
Work smarter, not harder
Richard Saldivar
Trusted Contributor

Just to put in my two cents worth. The web console is a very good tool.

It "is" a terminal server that feeds whatever is coming from the console port because it is connected to the console port. Instead of dummy termninal connected to port, it is a Web browsable server acting as just a terminal server. It should work with almost any RS-232 type device but I haven't played with one in a while.

Richard