54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Web console access problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Fischer
Occasional Contributor

Web console access problem

well, this one has me very confused. i have two l -class boxes each with a web console connection. when i open the web page on each machine, login, and then go to console mode(CO command), somehow i'm on the same machine...i have no idea how this has been configured and i don't have access to look at the machines. both machines are geographicly separated by at least 50 miles so there couldn't be any strange connections that i don't know about. so, my question is, how do i reconfigure the web console that is pointing to the wrong machine?
thanks for any help you can offer.
jim
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

First, how are you connecting to the consoles? Are you using a DNS name or an IP address?

If it's a DNS name, it is possible that there is an error in DNS configuration, making both consoles' names point to the same IP address. In this case, to fix the problem, you need to know what the missing console's *correct* IP address is.

MK
Jim Fischer
Occasional Contributor

i'm connecting by ip address. when i was first given the problem, they had me using dns names, but i also thought that dns may be misconfigured, so i got the ip addresses and they are on different subnets with different ip's...
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

So it's not overlapping IP addresses. Interesting.

Are you using an external "Secure Web Console" box or the integrated Web console function in the newer GSP version?

One possibility (if the networking setup allows it) would be that someone has used a remote console to connect to machine A, then used telnet to connect from A to B's console.
To get rid of the connection between the two, you cannot use Control-B, because the first console catches that... maybe the telnet escape sequence (Control-]) would help, but entering it through a web-based connection might be tricky.

One way would be to reset the management processor on machine B: it would cause the console connection between A and B to drop and allow you to access the command prompt on machine A. It should cause no problems to the OS. Resetting the GSP management processor can be done using this command:
stty +resetGSP (Yes, the redirection looks strange, but it is exactly like that.)

Could there be a possibility that one of the machines was installed from the other's ignite image, so that both machines look absolutely the same? If unsure, check the serial numbers with mstm diagnostics (run the Information tool on the first device, labelled "System") or with the print_manifest command.
MK
Jim Fischer
Occasional Contributor

well the gsp reset seemed to have taken care of it. i'll add that wierd command to my bag of tricks! thanks for your help.
jim