1752790 Members
6330 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What are the licensing implications of 3rd party maintenance for our Superdome

I LIGHTFOOT_1
Advisor

What are the licensing implications of 3rd party maintenance for our Superdome

What are the licensing implications of 3rd party maintenance for our Superdome. Is there any legal implication in this and can anyone sugest such a company within the UK.
5 REPLIES 5
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Re: What are the licensing implications of 3rd party maintenance for our Superdome

Not sure what you mean by licensing implications? It's not illegal to run your HP software without paying for Software Support, but you will not be able to get updated versions of the software (but patches would be available through the itrc still).

Josh
What are the chances...
I LIGHTFOOT_1
Advisor

Re: What are the licensing implications of 3rd party maintenance for our Superdome

Thanks for the reply.
What I actually meant was Hardware support and my reservations over the standard of support offered.
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

In the U.S., case law makes it clear that
it's legal for third party hardware maintenance companies to maintain your
computers. (Thanks to serveral lawsuits in the 60s, IIRC, lost by IBM.)

As already pointed out, not having HP software support means no software updates - no new versions of any of your products - ultimately this will leave you on unsupported versions which HP no longer even patch.

Hardware support is more a question of risk - if you trust your 3rd party to have the training and skills to work on s'domes, AND to be able to stay current on all issues/support advisories AND to have timely access to ALL the parts that might fail in your dome (including backplanes etc.) then why not?

Personally I'd want to try out any 3rd party ons something smaller/less critical than superdomes for a year or two first.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Gavin Hubbard_1
Advisor

Third party maintenance providers don't (officially) have access to Superdome firmware releases.

If your Superdome environment is stable and you don't anticipate any major upgrades, this may not be a issue.