5520 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is BCH

kholikt
Super Advisor

What is BCH

Hi,

I have server boot from FC. I am reading through some procedure to recover vg00.

stop boot at BCH
BCH> bo 'new hardware path'
BCH> interact with ISL? Y
ISL> hpux тАУlm

What is BCH? Is this only available only for IA or 9000 machine? I can't recall I have see any BCH prompt at any 9000 machine before.
abc
2 REPLIES 2
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

BCH is boot console handler, it is available only on 9000 machine, IA is using EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface).

Perhaps you just didn't notice the BCH prompt since the servers is usually set for automatic boot.

You must be on the console to get to BCH prompt. On booting process, it will asked for input to discontinue booting process and enter BCH prompt (See the attachment).

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Bharath PSB
Advisor

HP has two high end server ranges. IA and PA. All rpyyyy are PA and all rxyyyy are IA.

BCH is Boot Console Handler. PA machines have BCH. IA machines have EFI and an equivalent PAL.

BCH is a console where in you can interact with the machine prior to HPUX boot. Here you can do a couple of interesting things like searching for devices, viewing the system information, configure/deconfigure CPU/DIMM, change your monarch processor/ core cell, set KGM, view PDT info. If you have manufacturing mode enabled on your machine, there are still lot many things that you can do. ** But I would recommend not to use any of these until you are familiar with what these commands do. These are higly dangerous and can put your system down **.

Mail me if you need details abt any of the command.