108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What's the Management Workstation For - on SuperDomes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

What's the Management Workstation For - on SuperDomes

I have built nPars on a SD system and have never actually accessed used its Management Workstation (a A5???)..
On Sun E10K's, I can understand the need for what is called a System Service Processor (or SSP) who's function is basically as gateway to the complex -- ie. starting up/powering down domains and boards.
On an HP SuperDome what is its need? Sorry but I do not have training at all on HP platforms -- only on vPars which tuched a bit on nPars. The rest I rely on TFM and the valuable parametrs "?/HE/-h" to get what commands are available and their meaning..

Hakuna Matata.
6 REPLIES 6
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Re: What's the Management Workstation For - on SuperDomes

Are you referring to the GSP? It can be used to reset the host remotely, in the case of a hang or necessary reboot. also, there are logs that you can use to evaluate problems on the superdome complex...

I have a SD48 way, but mine is only 1 partition. but in your case, I think it would be very valuable.... go to docs.hp.com and search for superdome. There are several good docs there.
Unix, the other white meat.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Todd,
I am not referring to the GSP -- where we have both LAN and a Console (serial) connections. I am just wondoering why SuperDomes are always shipped with an HP Workstation (called the service management workstation??) and mostly on a private network with the SD complex...

I already use the GSP ( or MP on rp8400s) to carve the nPars and access the Console(s), boot the partitions, etc... So what essentially is that HP workstation hanging in there for?
BTW, where will be your SD? - FRF, STL, SFLD or SAn Ramon... Ours will be mostly in FRF.
Hakuna Matata.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

The Support Management Station (SMS) runs the Superdome Scan tools to aid in diagnostics, testing, and hardware replacement. If there is ever a problem with the superdome, the CE would run diagnostic tools from the A500 SMS to help figure out what the problem is.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Thanks Joshua!

So I was right after all - that it is essentially not needed for "operating" the SuperDOme as all else can be handled via the GSP/MP as in all Cell based HP servers.
Hakuna Matata.
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

Yes, it actually doesn't come with a display or keyboard on purpose so that people won't use it as a console for the SD.

-Josh
What are the chances...