1752572 Members
4370 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XSTM

Jo Minter
Occasional Advisor

XSTM

No matter which stm I run all I get is the text based version. I can't get the GUI to start. Is there a configuration file somewhere that needs to be changed or something that needs to be done or to be running to get the GUI?
8 REPLIES 8
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: XSTM

Hi,

did you set your DISPLAY variable ?

# who am i -uH
# export DISPLAY=your_ip:0.0
# xstm

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Jo Minter
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I exported my display and it still doesn't start the GUI.
Jo Minter
Occasional Advisor

I found on the Options menu a "Map" selection. In the "Map" selection there's a selection to "Display xstm Device Map in Text Format". This selection is checked. If I uncheck it or restore the defaults and say Okay, it doesn't keep the changes I made. How do I get the don't display in text format change to stick?
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

Can you give some more details of what you see?

What is the revision of OnlineDiags (shown when you start STM)?

Do you see the same when you run cstm and mstm, or is there a difference between those two? Which is getting started when you run 'xstm'? Is it command line based cstm or the menu-based mstm?

Are there any errors logged in the UI Activity Log (see under the File menu)?

The option you found in xstm for text display is for how the map is displayed, it will still be displayed in an X window, not the terminal screen you are starting STM from. (It's intended partly to make it easier to manage a large number of devices, as the text display is more compact that the graphical one).
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Do you get any error after you type xstm.
Have you tried starting any other application from xterm say.. sam does it display GUI or TUI only ?
Have you given xhost + on the server ?

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Jo Minter
Occasional Advisor

stm -x is what is being executed.

I see a GUI box, but it has a text listing of components. I want the one where there are icons for the components.

We're running STM version A.28.00, OnLineDiags version B.11.00.18.09.

I see different types of screens if running cstm or mstm.

There's nothing in the UI Activity Log.

SAM runs fine as do other GUI based applications.

There's no error after starting STM.
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
What do you get if you type xstm ?
Also the stm verion which you are using is OF setember 2001.
Try to download the STM release for March 2004 from here :

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releasePage.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.bundle|patch.breadcrumb.releaseIndexPage|&releaseId=5013-2091

And do a try, instead of serching for pathces and applying.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the extra data, that makes the situation clearer. You are running the X windows version, the same as running 'xstm', and it's just the map of devices that you are seeing in text form as opposed to a graphical display.

How many devices are listed in the display? There is a limit of 254 for the graphical display (this is shown next to the check-box on the options screen, at least on the version I'm running); more than that and it switches to text format.

I'd also note that you're running A.28.00, which is a very old version now, from September 2001, and I'd recommend an upgrade to something a lot more recent, thought that may not make a difference to this particular problem.