108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: a MP card reset question

SOLVED
Go to solution
leelangco_1
Frequent Advisor

a MP card reset question

hi,my 8420 console can not response,so i want to reset the MP. but i found that the 1000baseT NIC on the MP card is configured to transmit heartbeat message in the cluster environment(2rp820+mcsg).so my question is that:when i reset the mp card, the 1000baseT NIC will be shortly disabled or not? if it is disabled,i think,the heartbeat message will be interrupted,and it will affect the cluster which i can not afford.

thank you !
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm not going to answer your question directly but will say that if you have only one heartbeat LAN then your cluster is a disaster waiting to happen. If your cluster can't survive the failure/reset/replacement (on the fly) of any one component then you've done it wrong. The failure of a heartbeat LAN should be an expected, tolerated event and should not trigger a package/node failover.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

resetting the MP should not necessarily affect the system LAN port, but care should be taken
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
leelangco_1
Frequent Advisor

to melvyn burnard,
the lan port i mentioned is on the MP card.when i reset the MP card ,it will not be affected?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"my 8420 console can not response"

What does this mean? Can you connect to the MP? Can you get a response from the MP and no results from the console?

Maybe a running process is "blocking" the console. Check this.

The MP resides on the same board like the core LAN and SCSI - a reset should not affect other components (do not pull the card!).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!