1753808 Members
7848 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

a3598a UPS battery question

Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

a3598a UPS battery question

someone told me the batteries need to be in a certain order, any truth to this?

--To go forward, you must backup
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: a3598a UPS battery question

Steven,
how old is the UPS and are you sure about the product code? HP don't seem to have any information on it.
Normally you can find an user manual on the hp site with the product code.

Regards
Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for you response.

Part numbers off the HP sticker that has the serial number are as follows.

A3589A, The 4x4 part number is 0957-2072

In the process of moving this from location X to Y, they pulled the batteries out to make it lighter and easier to move. All the serial number on the batteries are in numerical order, but in various locations.

If I simulate a power failure the ups does not kick in, aparantly it was working before it got here.

This thing is pretty old, hugh and HEAVY, it took 3 of us to get it off the pallet and into a rack.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi steven,

Yes I know them there the 5.5kva ups and we always removed the batteries first aswell. I dont remember any order for the batteries to be put back in but think there was something with the switches on the back when you first power it up.
It could be that it wasnt working very well, just hanging in there and moving it has just killed the batteries. You could also put a voltmeter across the batts to read the voltage make sure there god still.

Failing that, try this link for the manual, takes a minute to load though.

http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/powertrust/A3589A.pdf

hope that helps you.
Andy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Although the HP site does not list this product number but it is the 'standard' UPS for the K-class and T-class systems. There is no order for the batteries, but the unit predates modern UPS systems and lacks useful information. A basic check of the batteries and overtemp are about the only things that are diagnosed. The UPS is perhaps 6-9 years old and most likely the batteries havce never been replaced (recommended replacement is every 4-5 years). The circuitry is not sophisticated enough to accurately test the battery health. About all you can do is to switch to battery backup and see how long it stays up (with a load).

Since the unit isn't working, try using onw battery without the coupler and if that doesn't work, it could be a UPS failure. Now comes the tricky part: do you replace the UPS electronics or the batteries? I just checked and the batteries (which have a different part number than the one on the batteries) run $700 apiece, $1400 plus tax and a hefty shipping fee since each battery weighs about 150 pounds). So if you replace the UPS, and the betteries are bad...or replace the batteries and the UPS is bad...

Faced with this situation, I opted for a modern 3KVA unit (a K460 + a full Jamaica disk enclosure needs about 2KVA) which runs less than the replacement batteries. And it has much more useful diagnostics. The new unit plus batteries will still be heavy but less than half the old HP unit.

And then there's eBay...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the good info Bill, looks like we are going with a new unit. Anyone having problems or needing parts for these will benefit from this thread. Much Appreciated!