108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: add-in SCSI card for HP9000 D220

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grant Willey
Advisor

add-in SCSI card for HP9000 D220

I'm looking to add in a second SCSI card to run my tape drive, HP Dat40i. What kind of bus is in the D220? PCI, EISA, ???

What backup software do you recommend for HP UX v10.20 & v11?

Thank you so much for your help. Grant
5 REPLIES 5
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

buses are EISA and HSC (HP propietary).

be sure that your dat has an SE interface. There are not card LVD for D series

I advice you to use HP Omniback as backup software...
Teach is the best way to learn
Grant Willey
Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

What part of the server bus uses the HSC? I was thinking about buying an Adaptec EISA Scsi controller and using that. If you say the bus can do SCSI, it should work provided I get a HP-UX driver right?

Do you know of any non-HP SCSI cards that work in my server?

The Dat40i will handle SE SCSI. Do you think I'd be better with an external drive instead of internal?

As for the Omniback, hasn't it been replaced by the HP Openview Storage Data Protector software?

Please advise. Thanks!
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

Grant

The problem of use non HP EISA cards is that there aren't available drivers and sure that not work... you must to order HP cards... ask your HP sales for a remarketing card... it is not very expensive

Be sure that Dat40 supports SE... I'm not sure
External/internal depends that you want. Is the same (External if you don't have free solts on your server)

You're right. Data Protector is the latest version of Omniback... but now there is only a beta version (and not very stable)... Install better version A.04.01
Teach is the best way to learn
Tony Bacon
Frequent Advisor

You will save a lot more money by going to a vendor that offers Refurbished HP Hardware with a Warranty. Anywhere between 50-80% off List Price.

-Tony
tbacon@nasi.com
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

i agree use a proper hp card, it will save a lot of time in the long run and will definatly work.The part no for the proper card is A2679A which is an eisa card. The only hsc scsi card you can get is FWD and not compatible with the tape drives. Can you not install the drive in the d class and use the internal scsi cable like the cd drive? DAt 40i's have an 68pin connector so you would need and adapter to convert it to standard 50pin, you normally get these with the product if bought new though. The only other thing you will have to check is the scsi id of the drive. These come set to id3 as standard but can easily be changed if required. If you server is on support I think only the DDS2 and 3 drives are supported on that server so you would need an A3542A dat drive.
hope this helps

andy