Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding memory to a K420

Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

adding memory to a K420

Hello,

I just upgraded my K420 from 1g of mem to 2g. Right now the system self test is sitting a "TEST C263" and has been for 10 minutes. is this normal or is there a problem?

tks
ecs
11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: adding memory to a K420

The k-class is known for slowly boot - you are currently somewhere in memory init.
Did you follow all the memory installation rules? Do you have different DIMM sizes?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

I think so, I have 1 pair of 128mg and 14 pair of 64mb. I have the 128mb pair in slot 0 a/b of the carrier in slot 0 and the 64mb filling out 1a/b - 7a/b on carrier 0 and 0a/b - 6a/b on carrier 1. if need to I have enough memory to only use 64mb sticks.

how slow is slow??

Each carrier works when I tried them by themselves.

ecs
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

how slow is slow??

Good question - how about 20~30min?

In case or problems it can take longer ... switch the key to "service" and use CTRL B to see some more on the terminal.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Ok, it's been running over an hour now and is still at c263.

turned key to service, did control B and observed the following.

TEST C263 REMOTE: disable inactive multiple ACCESS FAULT: 00

not sure what to do next in there besides type HE to see all the options.

tks
ecs
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

1 hour is too much ... now you can do some testing, for example put only 1 pair of memory on each carrier. If this works, add some more ... maybe one of them is really bad - too bad to let the system pass the selftest.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

OK, Now I'm ready to pull my hair out....

I finally worked my way though memory and found the tilt point. Now I'm even more confused.

If I put a carrier with a full 1gig (16x64mb) of memory in the machine it works fine, I then pulled that one and put a 2nd carrier with a full 1gig of memory (16x64) it works fine. if I put both carriers, each with 1gig (2x16x64mb) for a total of 2 gigs of RAM first I got FLT 101C.

I then took all but the 1st pair (0a/b) of dimms out of the 2nd carrier and tried to boot up and it booted up fine. I then put the next pair (1a/b) in and get FLT 7007. Shut it down tried another pair and got the same thing.

So what do FLT 101C and FLT 7007 mean? I found a set of general chassis codes where 7007 is a memory address fault but nothing on the 101C.

Granted this K420 is 12-14 years old, but according to one of the other documents I did find should be able to handle over 2 gigs of memory. I would think it was the bus, except I could get it to boot up with that 1st pair of memory in the 2nd carrier.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

That should be that I could boot it up with the 1st carrier with 1 gig and the 2nd carrier with 128mb in slot 0a/b.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

FLT 7007 is Memory address ECC fault.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

OK, so what does that mean?
cnb
Honored Contributor

FLT 1x1C Unaligned data reference trap
FLT 7007 Memory address ECC fault

Indicates memory seating, improperly configured SIMMs, bad memory sum or riser/riser slot.

If they are all 64mb SIMMs, then each module (x2 SIMMs) must be installed in module pairs (x4 SIMMs). If both extenders were empty, the first pair of modules would go in slots 0a/0b and 1a/1b on the first
extender; the second pair of modules would go in slots 0a/0b and 1a/1b on the second extender; the next pair of modules would go in slots 2a/2b and 3a/3b on the first extender, and so on.

You need to make sure you have sets of 4 in the correct alternating order. I believe having just two (2) 64mb SIMMs in 0a/0b on riser 2, with riser 1 fully populated isn't correct.

Take it down to the minimum memory configuration of 256mb, boot it up and then look for previous warning messages in the console log file. If you've tested all of the SIMMs, then there may be other h/w issues preventing the full 2gb from configuring. Possibly a flakey SIMM slot on one of the risers?

Verifying Memory
To verify the newly installed memory, reboot the system and interrupt the boot process at the "Press Any Key Within 10 Seconds" prompt. At the Boot Console Handler (BCH) prompt, type IN[formation] to get the Information Menu. At the Information Menu, type ME[mory] to display the current system memory configuration.

HTH
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

And attached is a complete list of chassis codes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin