New Discussion юеВ

Re: additional FWD SCSI card on k260

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lee Thian Sin
Advisor

additional FWD SCSI card on k260

Hi,

i having a k260 box which equip with one core I/O board and one HP-PB I/O Board (sitting next to core I/O). i got a refurbish FWD scsi card (28696-69104 Fast Wide Differential SCSI Host Adapter Board) but my current HP-PB I/O is full. Question:

1. how i know whether i can add another HP-PB? can i check from console or hav to phisically check from rear slot?
2. i found the expansion I/O slot was empty. can i use it for scsi?
3. does FWD scsi card come with single height? the card i having is double.

11 REPLIES 11
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe a K260 has room for 2 full height expansion cards so you can add your double height SCSI card right next to the current one. You cant get a single hieght HP-PB FW-SCSI card, only a double-height (you can get a single height HP-PB SE scsi card though).

From the back unscrew the cover plates (x2) right next to your existing HP-PB card and you will see there is a connector to plug it in when you can get some downtime to shutdown the server.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Lee Thian Sin
Advisor

Thanks for reply. i found the following SE scsi card for K class from partsurfer.hp.com.

28642A
28655A

izzt both single height? i thinking to get one since i still got a single hegiht HP-PB slot left.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

This is the one all our servers have; 28655A
Its a single height SE SCSI (50pin) card. You can fit into each expansion bay 1x single height and 1x double height card.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

Hi

28642A: I have no information
28655A: SE SCSI-2 single-height for K-Class

One of my guide says that the K260 can take a maximum of 4 HP-PB cards
two of these may be double-height
Don't get mad - get naked
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

Stefan:

Sorry - had my reply window open & unsent for quite a while
My answer above is superfluous
Don't get mad - get naked
Lee Thian Sin
Advisor

Those information is really appreciated. My last simple question -- did anyone try the 28655A with any DLT8000 drive before? as i know, the patches PH23790 need to be install for stape driver correction. Other than this, any suggestion or comment?
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

The DLT8000 is probably a FWD device and will not work on a SE scsi card.
There are also DLT8000 units available which are LVD devices but I doubt they will work on SE scsi interface.
Even if you could place your HP-PB FWD card in the system the DLT8000 won't work since the HP-PB isn't fast enough for the DLT8000.
On the core I/O board one can place an extra interface ( A2969A for FWD card ), is this slot used already ?
This A2969A interface is a HSC interface and the DLT8000 will work on this one.
Lee Thian Sin
Advisor

i was shock about the DLT8000 wont work with 28655A SCSI-2. im getting a Compaq DLT8000 with LVD/SE interface. what i know if i dont use LVD card, i will get SCSI indeed of LVD speed since my drive is LVD/SE. if DLT8000 only work with HP-HSC slot, why hp make SCSI-2 card for 28655A? Sorry i new to HP product.
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Marcel is right, PB-cards are too slow for the DLT8000 and you cannot connect LVD/SE devices to your K-class.

You need a HighVoltage DLT8000 drive and you need to connect it to the HSC bus (e.g. on Core I/O).

The only other option would be to get a used DLT4000 drive which you can connect to PB SE-SCSI card. This is a typical config. But perfomance is much slower.

Regards,
Bernhard