108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bad memory simm how to I deallocate it

SOLVED
Go to solution
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

bad memory simm how to I deallocate it

I have a bad memory simm and would like to deallocate it so it is no longer available.
Could someone help me out with the procedures that need to be done to deallocate the bad memory.

Thanks in advance
nancy
nrip
9 REPLIES 9
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

I was under the impression that when a memory board actually had too much trouble it would deallocate itself.

Though maybe it does require just a reboot.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Nancy,

Think this doc will help,

Document description: LOGTOOL Reference: Step-by-Step procedures
Document id: DIAG374AC631

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000065556087

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi nancy,

I don't think you can deallocate memory like you can CPUs. The system will deallocate pages after a certain error threshhold is reached, but only on non-locked (i.e. kernel) memory. If it's kernel memory. then the de-allocation cannot happen until next boot.
But note there's a know bug with V,K & T-class systems & the STM version on these systems. The problem is that STM incorrectly decodes mem addresses which forces almost any mem address into kernel range.

If you think the whole SIMM is bad I would place a call & have it replaced ASAP because a normal system can only de-allocate 50 pages (4KB pages) before the table fills & you can have a problem i.e. panic. The V-class has a 100 page PDT, but all others 50.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

I have placed a hardware call. Unfortunately my versionof OnLine Diag is giving me errors so I can't look at the PDT. csm errors:
-- Error --
This User Interface (UI) is not compatible with Unit Under Test (UUT) omhq1347.
The UI version is A.21.00. A UI with version of at least A.30.00 is required.

According to Hardware support if the PDT is below 80% I should be okay, above 80% and I should have it looked at immediately.
Since I can't check with witout cstm. I think I need a newer version which requires patches and a reboot I plan on having the memory replaced as soon as I can get an outage.

Any idea what the latest version of OnLine Diag and its patches are?

Thanks for your reponses.
Nancy
nrip
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

HP-UX 11i (11.11) (S700/S800, Dec 03 release).
ID: B.11.11.13.xx, STM vers.: A.43.00

HP-UX 11.00 (S700/S800, Sep 03 release).
ID: B.11.00.26.xx, STM vers.: A.42.00

http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6191AAE

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Get the latest from here:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.bundle|
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi nancy,

If this is an L-class or higher, I know that at the BCH you can get the PDT info. But of course that involves a reboot.
I'd think this would be a good function for the GSP, But hey - we're only users, huh?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Nancy,

to really fix you stm issue you should either swinstall OnlineDiag directly from the SupportPlus CD or, when you use swcopy to create a depot first, deselect the dependencies check.

That's what most likely happened because in your depot you will not have the libraries needed for the UI filesets and therefore they will be excluded from swcopy by default.

Try swlist -l fileset | grep -i stm and you will see the version mismatch.

Regards,
Bernhard
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

I went ahead this a.m. and removed Online and reinstalled from CD. All is well now.

Thanks for all your input.

Happy Holidays.
NR
nrip