1752796 Members
5619 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

bypass k class self check

Mel Fabro

bypass k class self check

Hi,

We have K Class server and i'm wondering if it's possible to bypass the self test.

Thanks in advance.

--Mel
6 REPLIES 6
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: bypass k class self check

Not as far as I'm aware. You can however set fastboot on in one of the boot menus. This curtails the memory self test and speeds up a reboot. The amount of time saved depends on how much memory you've got in the server.

Regards,
John
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
In not ware also and remeber having asked that question to the support engineers when they brought the boxes...
But as John said Fastboot option does help a lot when it comes to boot time. A K class can spend really lot of time in memory checking...

All the best
Victor
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

I don't think that there is an option to by pass the memory check. fastboot does help but generally u know how much time the K box takes to boot.

Rgds

Gopi

robert dodd_2
Advisor

Hi

As an engineer who has sat/stood watching the K Class boot (and a 6 way can take over 30 minutes)many times, fastboot helps a bit.

If you have a lot of reboots to do, say for example you are doing some installation or testing, it speeds things up by reducing the server to 1 processor. The more processors, the more the boot time. Also the memory size itself affects boot time - this is even apparent with fastboot enabled. So in these instances you may find it useful to have an engineer on hand ;)

Regards

Robert

Customer Engineer
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K-class uses really old processor firmware and does not have any of the BCH options mentioned in the SpeedyBoot section of the man page for setboot. setboot -v will show you all of the options, but none of them will work except -T FASTBOOT=off. (note: FASTBOOT must be uppercase, see /etc/setboot_tests). Most HP service engineers will warn against turning off the selftests but when you are repeatedly rebooting, it can save a *lot* of time. Also, if a hardware failure (HPMC) causes a reboot, all the selftests are turned back on automatically.

So FASTBOOT is all you can control in the old K-class boxes. It cuts down on the memory test time but does not elimnate all memory testing, so if you have 8Gb of RAM and 4 processors, expect 8-10 minutes for a reboot. (the new rp boxes are much faster and can have lots of tests disabled)

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mel Fabro

Thanks for all the replies guy, I greatly appreciate it.