HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752782 Members
6511 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

can g40 be shipped laying on side, and how much does it weigh?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

can g40 be shipped laying on side, and how much does it weigh?

We are giving our g40 away and need to ship it. I don't have any old specs. on it and can't find out much about it. Can we ship it laying on its side on a pallet, and how much does it weigh? It is in a C2786A cabinet and has the A2998A UPS. Thanks.
Richard
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: can g40 be shipped laying on side, and how much does it weigh?

Hi,

a G40 is aprox. 50 kg (110 lbs) and you can ship it laying on the side but:

I would strongly recomend not to tilt the A2998A UPS because the batteries may not survive this. I would suggest to unmount the UPS before shipping the whole rack (caution - high voltage even if unplugged from the power source, an electrician should do it).
It may also be that some older disks will not spin up after powering them off, but this is regardless of the orientation during the shipment.

Hope this helps, good luck

Stefan

P.S. the G40 specifications say that it will survive an edge drop from 2.5 inch above floor (non operating, of cause there is no warrenty anymore ;-)
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Stefan.
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
James Grice
Occasional Advisor

The cabinet CANNOT be shipped on it's side. The only SAFE way to ship the entire cabinet is to crate it. You could strap the cabinet to a pallet but especially if it has a ups in it the crate is the way to go. They cost about $275. I know the g 40 isn't worth alot of $ but if you don't crate the cabinet it will be damaged. If you are just sending the server and no cabinet, I would have someone foam pack it. ( a resller in your area should be able to do this )