3052 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can't install 36 GB hard disk in HP 9000 E 45

Binukuttan VM_1
Frequent Advisor

can't install 36 GB hard disk in HP 9000 E 45

dear all,

When i tried upgrdaing my root disk from 2 GB to #^ gb hard disk, the installtion is getting struck with the physical extend exceeded errors.
It is giving to inscrease my physical extend size or numbers,I tried so many values..pls help me to solve this problem..

thanks and regds

Binukuttan VM
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Binu,

I don't think you can use that large of a disk in that old of a system. The entire nova series is no longer supported by HP.

I'd suggest you try using a 9G disk. That was the largest one I could find for a E class refered to in a disk upgrage manual form 1997.

You may have some luck using the 36G disk as a non-boot disk once you've got a working OS disk.

Regards,
Tom
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Originally, the problem stemmed from
a design flaw of the PDC (firmware),
which required LIF files (the "boot image")
to be in the first 4 GB of a disk drive.

IIRC, something was changed...either
firmware or HP-UX, such that the problem
was resolved.

What release of HP-UX are you running?
Robert Young_13
Advisor

I am in a similar boat. I have an older E35 using 2Gb drives with HP/UX 10.2. I would like to upgrade at least (1) since I just lost one due to a head crash. More space will also let me install 11.0 which has been sitting on the shelf for years ( there was insufficient roon on the 2Gb drive system disk to install it safel). Anyone know where I could obtain a 4-9Gb replacement at a reasonable price, and do I have to go with HP or will another (Seagate, WD, etc) suffice?
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I totally agree with TOM.
Better try with 9GB Disk for the O.S then you can play aroung with the 36GB for Non-root Disk.
9GB should be sufficient as an upgrade to 2GB.

Regs

I'll sleep when i am dead.
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Binu

I think you will find a scsi type compatability problem between the 36GB disk and the very old E45 scsi controller.

Robert most HP disks are badged disks and I have used many different types including seagate so that will not be a problem for you.

John.