Hi all~

It is possible? cell board add/remove
on superdome due to OS still working.
I heard sun's machine can do it.
7 REPLIES 7
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: cell board add

HP can do it. As long as devices are OLAR (online addition, replication) it can be done.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Except core cell, it can be done online. Also I think only in case of v-par you can do it.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Depends on the cell. If this cell has I/O chassis connected to it, it can't be done, because you'll loose all the devices during the work, including system disks.

Alex.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
morganelan
Trusted Contributor

Superdome servers are endowed with a substantial number of features that make them easier to repair with little or no downtime. Among these features are:

N+1 CPUs with iCOD
Hot-swap N+1 fans, power supplies, and backplane DC/DC converters
Online replacement of PCI I/O cards
Online addition/replacement of PCI I/O chassis (follow-on release to HP-UX 11i)
Online addition/replacement of cell boards (follow-on release to HP-UX 11i)
Dual power sources
N+1 CPUs with icod
With HP-UX 11i, Superdome has support for instant capacity on demand (iCOD). This feature lets you bring additional CPUs online without a system reboot. Because no reboot is needed, the system has no loss of availability, even while youâ re adding capacity.

Another advantage of iCOD is that it allows setting up a system of N+1 CPUs, ensuring maximum single-system availability. If one CPU fails, another is already running and prepared to take its place.

N+1 fans, power supplies, backplane DC/DC converters
Superdome servers are equipped with N+1 fans, power supplies, and backplane DC converters, ensuring maximum availability for these components.

Dual power sources
Dual power sources in Superdome servers mean the power supply can be protected against becoming a single point of failure.

Online addition and replacement (OLAR) of PCI I/O cards and chassis
PCI card and chassis OLAR enables the online addition and replacement of PCI I/O cards and chassis on Superdome systems. The system hardware uses per-slot power control combined with operating system support for the PCI card OLAR feature to allow you to add a new card and replace an existing card without affecting other components or requiring a reboot.

Online addition and replacement of cell boards
Superdome and a future HP-UX release after 11i support online addition and replacement of cell boards, allowing repair and maintenance of these critical components without bringing the system down.

Online addition of nPartitions
With HP-UX 11i, Superdome lets you add nPartitions without affecting other running nPartitions. Such dynamic reconfiguration is another reason why Superdome provides superior uptime. And Superdome is enabled for dynamic cell board migration, which will be fully supported with the next release of HP-UX 11i.

Kamal Mirdad
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Like stated in the post above from morganelan

Superdome and a future HP-UX release after 11i support online addition and replacement of cell boards, allowing repair and maintenance of these critical components without bringing the system down.

very important: future HP-UX release

You can NOT remove a cell board from a running partition at this time. You have to shutdown the partition.

But anyway, cell boards are NOT considered as customer replaceable by HP, so you have to call HP for any hardware related changes on your superdome.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
You canreplace a cellboard from a superdome if the partition your replacing from is bigger then 1 cellboard and is not the core. But when you power off your cellboard weird things can happen so HP will always say do it in maintence mode .
SO HP sales will promise you a lot but the engineers wants to bring the npar down.
If you are going to do it.
power of the cell trough the concole with pe and replace it.

If you want to make the npar bigger you can online make the npar bigger with /opt/parm/bin/parmgr but you have te perform a reboot -R (use the capitol R) after the add otherwise the npar doesn't use the cellboard.
same thing with the remove.

grtz. Mark
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

just to summarize the other answers and make clear:

Hot swapping of a Superdome (all types) Cell is NOT SUPPORTED as long as the partition it belongs to is running an OS.
The partition will CRASH with an HPMC.

Reason: Neither the current firmware nor any current OS (HPUX, Windows, Linux, VMS) support cellboard swapping on Superdome.
From a hardware point of view, the Superdome box allows powering off/on and unplugging any cell or I/O without impacting other cells, but unfortunately, the OS would continue to try to access the unplugged cell (processors, memory, I/O) which results in bus timeouts and finally in a crash.

=> future OS (Windows, HPUX) / firmware version may allow cellboard online swapping ...

best regards

Stefan