8670 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

change of IP address for Web Console

Kelvin Yu
Advisor

change of IP address for Web Console

Hi,

After removal of our server to different location, I forgot to change the IP address & gateway for Web Console. Since this is a remote site, how can I change these without going into GSP on-site? Thanks so much for any help.

Best regards,
Kelvin
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Re: change of IP address for Web Console

do you talk about a web console or a GSP and what type of system do you have. For some systems you have a small chance of configuring the GSP via net, but you have to know either the old IP adress or the MAC adress. If you know the IP adress then make an route entry from a computer in the local lan:

For a PC this would be:

route add GSP_IP PC_IP

Then you should be able to connect to the GSP via the old IP.

If you know the MAC Address:

route add NEW_IP PC_IP
arp -s NEW_IP 00-30-6e-05-0a-ea
(00-30-6e-05-0a-ea is GSP Mac address)
ping NEW_IP

This all should also work on a unix server (arp has another Mac Address format) and I tested it personally on an L-Class GSP. Unfortunately it is not possible to enbable the LAN console remotely (hope it is enabled already).

See also:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/A5191-96018/00/00/22-con.html

Best regards

Stefan

Kelvin Yu
Advisor

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the ideal.

My server is a HP9000 N-class box running 11i. My goal is to change the IP & gateway at the server so that I can connect the Web Console anywhere within our network. I remembered this was configured through the GSP. NOw the box is in remote site and how I can make this change from a telnet session.
Hope this is clear.

Best regards,
Kelvin
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi Kelvin,

Normally, you MUST connect directly to the GSP to make the change. However maybe you're lucky and you have and older GSP with a A.01.XX firmware, then you can telnet to the system and connect via an internal serial port with cu to tty1p0. The following forums entry explaines how to do this:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x4811543254bfd611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

and (not as good as above)
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x495950011d20d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

After you have logged in as an administrator, you can change network settings with "lc".

OK, if this does not work, then try the following. I just veriefied that it works on my N-Class by setting the IP to a 192.168... adress and connecting from a 15.x.y.z network from the N-Class. But it only works if
-lan cable is connected to GSP lan and GSP and N-Class are in the same subnet
-lan console is enabled (no way to enable it remotly if disabled)
-the old IP config is not nonsens (gateway does not match IP/subnet of GSP)

1.) telnet as root to the N-Class (HPUX)
2.) route add GSP_IP NCLASS_IP
3.) ping GSP_IP
4.) telnet GSP_IP

I veriefied that this works regardless of what the old IP "GSP_IP" address is (unless there are no IP conflicts). After you logged in, you can correct the settings with "lc"

I'm quit confident that this may help you, if not, someone has to go to the console and CTRL-B to the GSP and enter the "lc" locally.
Maybe a GSP reset (xd and "r") is needed to enable the new IP settings.

Best regards

Stefan
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Kelvin,

If you can get someone to reset the web console for you, you may not have to physically visit the web console. The problem may be that if you reset the web console to factory defaults, you may have to do the configuration for the web console again.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hw/swc/

Try SWC Installation and Configuration under SWC in the link above. The Guided tour explains how to reset the web console.

Hope this helps.

Regds