6067 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: configuring the ups/remote ports

Bhaskar_3
Occasional Contributor

configuring the ups/remote ports

Hi!
We have a Host Security Module box that uses the RS232 standard for communications, and we are able to communicate with this box using either the ups(/dev/tty0p1) or remote(/dev/tty0p2) ports on our development server(HP-UX 11.0 on 9000).
We recently purchased another server on which we installed HP-UX 11.0.On this new server we could not find the right device file to write on the remote port.Also, eventhough a file named /dev/tty0p1 exists, when we try changing the parameters or writing to it the program hangs(we cannot even kill this process with kill -9, we have to restart to clean this process).One difference between these two servers is that the new server comes with GPS revision A whereas the older one has revision B.
How do i create the right device files for using the remote/ups ports?

~Bhaskar
6 REPLIES 6
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

I was told that revision A is for GSP that have external web consoles. And revision B is for GSP that use builtin web consoles.
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Better you go to sam and try to configure the UPS. During the configuration it will give you the ports which are available. I do not have any New Server right now with me. You can upgrade the GSP yourself. Download the GSP firmware or you can ask your local representative to change the firmware.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Bhaskar_3
Occasional Contributor

correction... actually the older server has GSP revision A and the newer one uses revision B.
Victor Makukha
Advisor

Hi,

I do have the same problem with the revision B GSP. I have only one free port on this GSP card that is bound with asio driver and which is located at 0/0/4/1. You can use lssf and ll commands to check it. Console is sitting on tty0p0, remote console you can configure, as I have understood, only throug GSP (I have HP-UX B 11.11 and i don't have port for tty0p2). UPS is configured through SAM on tty0p1, but I'm having problems using this port to connect it to APC UPS. How far have you succeded playing with these ports?
Master
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the port layout has changed for the rev. B GSP since Firmware B.02.14+. The UPS port 1 has changed to port 3. Unfortunately, insf does not create the associated devicefile. You should install the following patches to solve this problem:

HPUX 11.0:
PHNE_29519 Cumulative Mux and Pty Patch
PHCO_27370 mksf(1M) cumulative patch

HPUX 11.11:
PHNE_30463 Cumulative Mux and Pty Patch
PHCO_28169 mksf(1M) cumulative patch

The PHNE Patches need a reboot. After the reboot you should be able to use /dev/tty0p3 for the UPS port. The other port numbers (0 for console and 2 for modem) are not affected.

I hope this helps

Stefan
Victor Makukha
Advisor

Stephan, you are GURU!

I've got my UPS blinking' and beepin' and doing all the stuff. Please answer my question in the Servers -> General -> "Connecting APC UPS to RP5430" section so I could give you a bunny in a hat!
Master