5129 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: console hungs

bazigardu
Advisor

console hungs

Hi all

It is rp5470 machine,console is hanging..I tried with laptop,it is coming to gsp> prompt but after that gsp>co it is not coming.I tried control c ,| not working.server is pinging,but when trying telnet to that IP it is also hanging.what could be the issue can u guide me.

Regards
suman
6 REPLIES 6
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Run the following command on the command line to "reboot" the GSP (without rebooting the server):

#stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

Aneesh
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

See KB UCMDSKBRC00009102 - "Hung Console : applies to all HPUX Servers with standard console" how to deal without reboots.

Check also required patches/firmware upgrades.

regards,
ivan
bazigardu
Advisor

Hi
I am not able to go # prompt,from where i will run #stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

this command.
and
Ivan KB UCMDSKBRC00009102 what does it mean,from where I wil check.Reboot is required?
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Refer to :

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96018/ch04s02.html

You can also reset the GSP thru a small button at the back of the server.

If the GSP becomes hung, it is possible to reset the GSP without impacting the server. The GSP may be reset via the GSP RESET button on the right side of the card. The PCI cover panel (right side panel) must first be removed to allow access to the right side if the GSP card.
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

but if you can get the CM prompt, i doubt the gsp has hung. the console hung could be due to system is totally hang since your telnet to the system is also hung. if no other way you can access to the system, you may do a TC at the CM prompt to reset the server which will be followed by a TOC dump onto the dump space. the files in the /var/adm/crash can be sent to HP for analysis on the root cause of the system hang.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you try to connect to the server's IP instead of the GSP IP?
I'm not sure about this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!