5075 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: console switch with n and l class

BKUMAR
Frequent Advisor

console switch with n and l class

Hi BigBrains

we are configuring cyclades console server, we are not getting the connection when we connect to console port from the console server for only N and L class, for K class hosts it comes fine, did anyone had these issues and has solution

Thx in advance
Unix Administration Most Dedicated and Challenging Career in the World
4 REPLIES 4
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I have no experience with Cyclades, but are you coming in on the Serial (RS-232) port on the N or L class via the W-cable 9-pin plug labeled console? If you are not using the three plug W cable, your pinouts are likely all wrong.
Mom 6
BKUMAR
Frequent Advisor

i tried on both the 3 cable and 9 pin console slot also no luck
Unix Administration Most Dedicated and Challenging Career in the World
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Do you have an RS-232 breakout box or a null modem cable. My guess is that the cabling is the issue. Am I correct that you are using a 25-pin connector the MDP box on the K-class which works fine? Likely in going from 25-pin to 9-pin your signals are getting crossed for send and receive.
Mom 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Anytime you have to deal with additional RS-232 hardware such as concentrators, there is always the possibility of transmit and receive getting crossed as well as hardware handshake signals. This is especially true for 9pin and RJ-45 (LAN cable) connectors. The simplest way to verify this is to purchase a 9pin null-modem adapter (also called a crossover) and insert it into the cable. If it works, you'll need to revise the wiring in your cables or replace the cables with the opposite wiring.

RS-232 cables come as straight-through (for modems) and cross-over (for printers and terminals). Since RS-232C does not define any wiring for 9pin or RJ-45, 9pin standards come from the PC world and there is no standard for RJ-45 (well, every manufacturer has their own).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin