HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751958 Members
5814 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to boot from cd rom?

rockman_2

how to boot from cd rom?

This could be a really silly question, but this is the scenario, and i don't have experience with this hardware:

I need a fresh install of HP UX on a RP3410 Server, i have the media and a test server, so far so good;
The problem is that that server, once turned on, doesn't display anything until it's right on the UX login screen, since this is a test server someone already used it and i don't have the root password, besides that, i want a fresh install.

The question is: how can i access the boot menu, bios option or whatever to tell the system to boot from a cd rom?

Regards
8 REPLIES 8
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

When the system starts up a prompt for "press any key within 10 seconds..."

Press any key at that point, then enter "SEARCH" to search for bootable devices.

Then enter "BOOT Pn" where Pn is the CD-rom drive from the SEARCH.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Does it have a serial port for a terminal?

You could connect a laptop serial port to it and run Hyperterminal.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
rockman_2

Thanks for your quick response.

Nothing is displayed when the system is booting up, so pressing "Fn" key messages are not available that's what i really wanted to know, how to access this booting info.

The hyperterminal is a good option, i'll give it a try, however, how would i login if i don't have any login accounts? is there any default access account?
tdmahendran
Advisor

hai rockman

connect in terminal 0r laptop.after get display "PRESS ANY KER WITHIN 10 SECONDS".
1.Interrupt any key u will get pdc prompt
2.There u type SEA IPL it will show the bootable media P0 AND hardware path.
3.Then type BO P0 then it will ask for interact with ipl y/n?.here u have to type y
4.then u will get ipl prompt there u have to type hpux -is and then enter
5.it will boot to single user mode
6.in single user mode u can change the root
password and boot to normal mode.and try

thanku
mahen
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does your system have a GSP/MP Card, in that case you can login to the MP console, thru local console port ( 9600,8,N).

From there you can access the system console

MP>CO

now you can reboot the server and access the BCH, and use the above procedure to boot thru CDROM.

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
rockman_2

Hello again and thank you all for your kind answers.

I've tried login via console, i got a db-25 male-male connector, because that's the kind of connector the server has, without luck.

I've granted some kind of local console access, right before the CDE login, a black screen with greenish "buttons" appear
(they are accessed through function keys, and their names are like: REMOTE MODE, DISPLAY FUNCS, AUTO LF and pressing the num lock key more buttons are shown; (MARGIN/TABS/COL, MODES and CONFIG KEYS),

however i'm unable to type any kind of command, i insist, i can't see any booting messages, what am i doing wrong?

Please excuse this hassle, as i'm a newbie with this kind of equipment, if i could just get to boot and reformat the server i will be so much comfortable in the hands of Unix ;)
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

U got the console access, actually u have to set the emulation to vt100 in order to type anything, after setting emulation u can see whats happening there. F1-F8 keys r used for this purpose u have to go into configure, i guess F5 will allow u to configure the terminal type.
I guess u see 8 things at bottom of the monitor so left one can be accessed via F1 and so on.
I hope this will work.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

One more thing u can do is u connect one windows PC and access the console using hyperterminal with default settings. That would be more user friendly as u r using this for the first time. there u can set emulation under file-->properties.
best of luck
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial