HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make sure that an rp8400's core I/O is failed?

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

how to make sure that an rp8400's core I/O is failed?

dear all,
i get such situation, the MP lan light on the core I/O was not bright, but the power light was bright. i could see that inside the core I/O card there were serveral red light brighting, when i boot the OS, the first time, it HPMC, and second time, it crash, which turned out to be lack of a system disk which connected to that core I/O; after OS booted, that core I/O's outer lights are all ok, except the MP lan light. could i now make the conclusion that the core I/O has hardware problem, and is replacing that core I/O would fix the problem? (that core I/O was not the master core I/O of the system)

look forward to your reply!thanks a lot!

stephen
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: how to make sure that an rp8400's core I/O is failed?

Hi,

because the MP device on slave MP card is not active, I would not expect any light on the MP lan port of the slave card.
Anyway, the core I/O part and the MP part on the card are independent.
You should have a look into the MP logs and involve HP support in case of trouble.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Torsten,
i could see another slave MP lan light brighting on another rp8400. anyway, i could not view the output of the devices on the slave core I/O, like lan, scsi port from ioscan. there was only one partition on the server, so the MP logs told nothing about the slave MP.
the server was out of service, so i could not involve HP support.
stephen
jose antonio tolosa
Regular Visitor

Why don't you perform a button reset on the MP?
It doesn't affects to npars or mp internal config and clears errors or hangs in MP/GSP...

J.A.
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

If there are any hardware related issues MP logs should tell us..could you pls upload the below requested logs ?

MP:>sl
select option e and next d.

MP:>cm
MP:CM>ps

capture these logs and attach.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

Good day to you !
To be exact, I refer you to contact HP to analyze the problem.

When HPMC happened, it will affect the tombstones file : /var/adm/tombstones/ts99. Check whether the timestamp is valid or not (if valid, the timestamp should be the around the time when the system crash).

To check the core I/O on your rp8400, you can check on the power status (PS) on your MP.

MP > CM [enter]
MP : CM > PS [enter]

Select the core I/O to see the core I/O status. Can also check other on this particular command.

As I refer to you previously, HP will analyze the problem with details. So it's a good way to call HP also.

Hope this information can help.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix