1752640 Members
6124 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: howto change the machine ID

Peter Kielbasiewicz
Frequent Advisor

howto change the machine ID

We have an old D390 running HP-UX 10.20 with a flexlm license server installed.
Some of the software products served are rather old but still in use for legacy applications. Not all companies which issued the licenses do even exist anymore.
If the Hardware fails we would need to setup another machine with the same ID (from uname -i) so that the flexlm will work again.
As D390 hardware is rather expensive and we still have a bunch of 712 and 715 workstations the question is "is it possible to change the hardware id of a 712/715 workstation to that of the D390?"
If the answer is yes the second question would be "How can we get this accomplished?"
8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"is it possible to change the hardware id of a 712/715 workstation to that of the D390?"

No, the swid is unique to a server.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
F Verschuren
Esteemed Contributor

a hp engenier can change the output of uname -i, hp wil not give the tool away to do it but is is poseble, a hartware call will do the trick...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It's not that easy.

It is possible to *repair* the ID if it is not properly set, but it cannot be set to "any" value - what else should be the sense of an ID?

especially for the old workstations the value is bound to the hardware ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

tkc
Esteemed Contributor

this id is generated using your system serial number and product number. only hp will be able to generate this id and in order for this id to be keyed into the system board, there is also a password needed to help keying in the id during system boot up from a special cd or tape.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hardware/machine IDs are embedded to uniquely identify a product. While this may be changed if there is an issue, assigning / moving a machine ID of one system to another may involve legal issues as it can be equal to duplicating it. :)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Given that the D390, 712 and 715 are likely past their EOL date, it would be a time and materials call to get the HP service engineer to come-out and mess with the system id's. Not sure how much that might cost compared to upgrading the system and software to current stuff...

Also, I suspect that the chances of success would be greater if you had another D390 to use as the replacement rather than trying to use a different system.

All in all, it sounds like a VERY brittle place to be. I hope you are already in the midst of a migration...

BTW, does flexlm actually use the uname command, or is it making some other system call?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Peter Kielbasiewicz
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all your answers.
I see that there are valid chances, in case the D390 breaks, to keep those licenses alive.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"I see that there are valid chances, in case the D390 breaks, to keep those licenses alive."

Where can you see this?
Even if you don't want to hear my "solution" and assign only 1 point to it - you'll be out of luck to "transfer" the system ID's ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.