HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753822 Members
8900 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp 9000,800,g40, seems dead!

Mike Griffiths

hp 9000,800,g40, seems dead!

I have a legacy 9000 g40 that has not been switched on for some time, now I've been asked to get the data off, but it has obviously been messed about with since it was last used.

The terminal is connected to the parallel port
at the back, I am not sure which of the 2 possible ports on the back of the terminal it should be in (there are 2 large ports and one small port, one large and the small are labelled datacomm, the other paralell.)
Then I am not sure how the terminal should be configured. There are 4 options for the port setup which say 1. serial (1) serial (2), 2. serial (1) Paralell (1), 3. serial (2) paralell (1), and one other.
Not sure what to emulate, em220 is the current.

I have no manuals to go from, it could be that it's not botting up atall, when I switch on, the green light and the orange light come on for about 10 minutes, then the orange light goes off and the green stays on. Haven't a clue what the orange light means or how to tell whether boot has failed seeing as I can't get the terminal to communicate with the hp!

I'm sure someone has been through this pain!
Any help would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

first question, what is the model of the console?
second question, is one port labelled serial or rs232? it should not be connect3ed to theparallel port.
Thrid point, if the lights on the front are going from green/orange to plain green, then I assume this is the left most of four lights on the box front? If memory serves me thaht is the run light, and fif that is on the the OS should hav eloaded , I think.
The termninal needs to be set to 8 bits, no parity, 9600 baud. EM220 emulation will work, but if you let me know the terminal model it may be possible to set it to defaults which is the correct sertting.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Gordon Brown_5
Frequent Advisor

Do you have an additional unit marked ADP or MDP - if so connect it to the datacomm port and connect the console to port 0.

The fact that the run light is green implies the machine is running and so should be accessible via the network ( if it has a LAN card and you know the IP address).

Also check the consloe cable it should be wired 2-3, 3-2 7-7 on a 25pin cable.

Ensure the console is in remote mode and that block mode is NOT selected ( press system button on the keyboard to get to the mode select feature)

Flow control should be XON XOFF
Older than the 840
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

the server should boot without console... unless you changed boot config params.
You may be able to access it over the lan.

The terminal is not parallel but 25 pin RS232
9600 baud vt220/hp emulation. Should be serial.

The host console connection on that series should be 9pin rs232. so you'll need a 9pin rs232 to 25pin terminal rs232 cable.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Gordon Brown_5
Frequent Advisor

Just to confuse the situation the G class had two multifunction I/O card options; one with a LAN and one with A MUX.
The LAN Multifunction card (A2441A opt 0DS) is equipped with, from bottom to top, a 10Base2 LAN(BNC) connector, a MAU connection (15pin D), a support modem port DB25, the console port with a connector similar a PS/2 keyboard and a SCSI-2 connector.

The MUX multifunction card (A2442A opt 0DS) is equipped with, again from bottom to top, ADP/MDP connector this is an external box with 8 (or more) DB25 connectors the console connects to PORT 0 of this panel. Next is the parallel port and at the top is the SCSI-2 port.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

G

Older than the 840