New Discussion юеВ

hp9000 dat drive "eating" the cartridge

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danny Pogi
Advisor

hp9000 dat drive "eating" the cartridge

hi guys,

am having problem with my tape drive. Upon execution of my backup script the dat drive (dds3) is "eating" my cartridge. MY box is an old k-class running hp-ux 10.20. Prior to this problem the old dat drive has been replaced with this malfunctioning dds3 drive last nov 2002. What could possibly wrong with my system?

thanks,

danny
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: hp9000 dat drive "eating" the cartridge

Having the tape drive *eat* your tapes has nothing to do with your K class server. It is purely with the drive and or the tape(s) being used.

First, if you can remove the *eaten* tape completely, load a cleaning cartridge and clean the drive twice. Load another scratch tape and try something simple to write to the tape.
e.g.
# tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m /tmp

This should attempt to write something to the tape. If the drive *eats* this tape as well, place a call to HP and get the drive replaced. Sometimes, drives can last quite a while, others may not depending on usage/cleaning/environment.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

Hi Danny,

Does this happen with new tapes? I have experienced problems in the past with old DDS1 and DDS2 tapes when used in DDS3 drives. If after cleaning the drive and using new tapes the problem persists - back to hardware replacement of drive I'm afraid.

Good luck,
One man's magic..............
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

REPLACE your TAPEDRIVE.

Sorry, no OS patches for this one.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Danny,
although I did not understand what did you mean telling 'eating cartridge' (loads tape by itself? ejects tape before 100mb are written?) but as soon as this tape drive shows such behavior I would check drive's bottom dip switches - all on except 3rd is off.
BTW, very useful utility called HP LTT can diagnose your drive and maybe recommend something... http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html
Good luck!
Eugeny
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Eugeny,

In Russian the word is "the tape drive is KONETS."