New Discussion юеВ

Re: jamaica disk and old D380

SOLVED
Go to solution
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

jamaica disk and old D380

Hi

I'm having a little trouble trying to get a couple of our crash and burn servers attached to a jamaica unit. One server is fine, it can see all the disks in the unit and it's own.

It's the 2nd server I am having trouble with.

I have 2 fast-wide diff scsi cards. One connected to the storage the other terminated. Internally I have them connected to the same ribbon then onto the backplane connector on the HOT-Swap module

What appears to be happening is that when i do and 'sea' to search for devices the system is seeing the internal disks with primary and alternate paths and isn't picking up the disks in the jamaica. Where am I going wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Steve
take your time and think things through
6 REPLIES 6
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

if u have two scsi controllers , why don't you just use the one for Jamaica and the other for Internal host-swap backplane... I did not understand what u mean by "they are internally connected to the same ribbon" Are they a single controller ?.

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

I said

"internally they are connected to the same ribbon (scsi cable)"

Which I think is my problem. Will disconnect the card which is not being used and get back

the scsi cable (ribbon) has 2 connectors

Thanks

Steve
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

sheeez

i'm gonna throw these servers in the bin!!

the server i said was ok is now having problems, when I try to do an 'sea' it just gives a message 'terminating search' with no warnings on the front panel. I think it may be the cd-rom

The initial server i was having trouble with, i have only the one card connected to the backplane which has resolved the primary and alternate path issue. I still however can't see my storage !!

I'm going to swap the cdrom on the 1st machine and put my thinking cap back on !

nice

Steve
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

if anyone is still awake

have replaced the cd-rom and found document

Check for "AUTOLF". On some workstations F8 controls "AUTOLF".
By pressing F8 "AUTOLF" is disabled which resolves the problem.

so machine 1 is now ok

just machine 2 !!

will see if there are any spare cards going

ta

steve
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Steve,

I would recomend to check the SCSI ID & internal termination settings on the sertver that cannot see the external storage. Because you had attached two SCSI cards to the internal storage, it may be that the 2nd card has internal termination off and SCSI ID set to 6 instead of 7 (typical config is upper card set to 7, lower card (in the middle of the bus) set to 6, all cards have internal termination off and the upper card should have an external terminator.
Because you unplugged the cable of one SCSI card, the internal bus on this card is unterminated.
To get rid of this:

1.) set both SCSI cards to 7 (maybe you have an ID 6 disk in the Jamaica?) by setting the jumpers near the external SCSI connector:

GPI-0: 1 (right)
GPI-1: 1
GPI-2: 1
GPI-3: 0 (left)

2.) move the terminator chips of the card connected to the Jamaica to terminator sockets near the internal SCSI connector.

3.) make sure, that only the other card is connected to the internal disks and that an external terminator is set.

I hope this helps

Stefan

Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Stephan was pretty thorough in his response. However, I thought I'd see if I could muddy the waters a bit...

You mentioned that both SCSI cards were connected to the same SCSI bus -- did you intend to "duplex" the drives that way or was that an error? (I note that you *did* mention in a later post that removing one controller got rid of that issue.)

What drives are in the Jamaica chassis, and what are their addresses, as well as the addresses of the internal drives? Are all devices on the bus FWD devices (no SE stuff snuck in)?

How is the Jamaica box cabled to the D? I've seen problems when the cable between the system and Jamaica or between the halves of the Jamaica are too SHORT. (The cable from the system to the Jamaica should be at least 2.5M and between halves should be at least 1M. Although this recommendation was made to reduce the incidence of SCSI bus "lbolt" errors, it would be good to eliminate cabling questions in any event.)

The termination is also likely to be a problem. The bus should be terminated ONCE at each end. By cabling the internal connector on the HBA to the internal hot-swap chassis and the external connector to the Jamaica, you've introduced the possibility of OVER-termination. As Stephan said, you'll need to remove the termination resistors on the HBA, if they're in place. The bus should only be terminated at each end, not in the middle.

I hope this helps you to keep those boxes out of the trash.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28