1753750 Members
5097 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: k classs external modem disconnects

Tim King_3
Advisor

k classs external modem disconnects

Hi, I finnaly was able to configure an external modem on my hpux k570 server. But now when I dial in from pc with hyper terminal it connects and immediately disconnects. Any suggestions?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Brad Baron
Frequent Advisor

From the local console you will need to go to Ctrl-B (make sure key is in service mode) and enable remote connections. If I remember typing >help will give you the menu list. Good luck!
Tim King_3
Advisor

I tried that, but it still disconnects. If I hit Enter a few times it says "connected" in the status bar, and if I type AT it says "OK". Looks like I'm only connected to the modem not the server. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tim
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
How did you setup the special files for the modem ? Do not use CCITT there.
I run a few servers with modem access here and they all work really nice.
What about the getty / gettydefs / inittab ?
What about the configuration strings of the modem ?
What modem is it ( USR, MultiTech...) ?
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

Further to following thread opened by you on the same subject, please check whether you are using the right Modem Cable (System to Modem) and using Industry standard modem. You may have to take help of Modem supplier for its configuration

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=943585

Regards
Mahesh
Tim King_3
Advisor

Hi, I followed the instructions from the following document:
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/docDisplay.do?docId=prodITRC/DE_HW_NN_modem_EN_01_E/mckexternal.html

It is a MultiTech MT2834ZDXb.

Thanks
Tim
Tim King_3
Advisor

Hi, I got it to where it will stay connected but all I get is a blinking curser! I did notice that while connected to the hpux server from another pc the screen displayed the following when attempting to dial in:

RING
CONNECT LAPM COMPRESSED

It seems that I'm missing additional instructions to get a "Login"

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
This is just the reply from the modem.
Your system does not put the getty on the modem. Is your getty process for the modem up and running ? Pls restart with 'init q', then delete the getty process and watch, whether a new process starts. If not, you have to check the /etc/inittab file for a respawn of the modem.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Tim King_3
Advisor

Hi, I tried that but now when I try dialing, it connects and then immediately disconnects!

Thanks
Tim
Tim King_3
Advisor

I had the modem tested by a Multitech rep and it checked out ok. I also verified the pin outs of the cable and it is the right cable. When recycling the power on the modem the TR light stays on for 20 seconds and then goes out. I was informed this light must stay on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tim