1752795 Members
6153 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lan console

Rushank
Super Advisor

lan console

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a L box I want to configure Lan console.
On GSP prompt with LC command I gave Ip addres, subnet,gateway address etc, to the port. That port is connected to our local lan. Green light indicates the link is up.

Problem :1. I'm not able to telnet or ping to the ip address.
2. GSP> LS shows port up and running.
3. GSP> DI shows Lan console disconnected ; All console are already disconnected
4.GSP>EL shows Lan port access enabled.

So what's the solution now..? Any clue..?

13 REPLIES 13
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Re: lan console

Hi Rushank,

You say the link is up and the EL shows that the lan port access is enabled? Can you ping the gateway from your GSP?

Also make sure the subnet mask is set correctly.

Hope that helps
-Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

LC can be used to configure the IP address ad so on.. make sure you can ping as was mentioned before.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

The test of ping to the gateway is a good suggestion, assuming that it will accept pings :).

Obviously, be absolutely *sure* that the IP address, subnet mask, and the gateway address are correct -- give us the exact values you used and also the values for the regular Lan card (e.g., "lan0") in the box.

Is the console in the same subnet as the NIC of the box (as opposed to having a separate "console lan" for all your servers' console lan ports)?
If so, you should be able to ping the console IP from the box itself (once booted).

But, the problem could be on your client end trying to get to that subnet. Can you ping anything else on that same subnet?
I.e., are you in the same subnet as the console? If not, do you *really* have a route to that subnet or does your client's default gateway know about that subnet?
Best would be to ping the console IP address from a box *within* that subnet, such as the box, itself, as I suggested above.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Hi,

Just a quick thought, do the routers / switches on your network need the MAC addresses of 'autherised hardware' cataloged ?

Cheers,

-ChaZ-
Rushank
Super Advisor

Self ping from XD option in GSP prompt shows pass. I'm not able to ping anywhere else on the lan. I'm not able to ping to the gateway and to the host! I'm sure gateway address and subnet masks are correct.

linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Rushank,

Do you have any other machine where the lan console is working? Is the lan console IP address in the same subnet as your static ip address of the HP machine or different?

-Regards
I am RU
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Neale Machin
Advisor

do you have remote console enabled on our N4000 this has to be done to allow access to the lan console.
Mark:)
Just cos I look after Unix Boxes doesnt mean I wear sandals
Rushank
Super Advisor

Hello,
I've enabled remote console in GSP. My ip address for GSP is different than Host. All the unix hosts on the same subnet.

David P. Goodsell

>All the unix hosts on the same subnet.

If you have assigned a valid address in the subnet to the console, then, after booting the Nbox, it should be able to ping its own console address.

If not (assuming that it's enabled in GSP ("EL")), then it's a hardware problem:
either the lan-console is bad, or you've not plugged it into a hub or switch servincing that subnet, or you've plugged it into a switch port that is not enabled, or it's a bad cable, or it's a cross-over cable, or....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer