108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: licensing related

SOLVED
Go to solution
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

licensing related

I am trying to install mirrordisk/UX from application CD.
I have the codeword to access it but not the customer ID.
Is the codeword and customer ID a unique combination?
Or can i get it running with original codeword and an arbitrary customer ID
10 REPLIES 10
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi martin,

If you have the codeword then technically thats all you need to install the product providing you have the correct application cd.
When you apply for the codeword you need to use the customer id and you have to enter this and the part number of the cd you are going to use. You are then given the codeword generated from this information. So to install the software you would in theory need the cd with the correct part number on it from the original request aswell.
If you have the correct cd then you can just install the codeword through swinstall and then the software will become available for you to install in the same way.
If you have lost the customer ID number then you can always call hp and they should be able to help you.
Have you tried going to
http://licensing.hp.com
there is various options available to you to retrieve missing information and the correct contact info to get straight to hp's licensing team.

Andy
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The Customer ID and Codeword are a unique combination.

This page:
http://licensing.hp.com/licenseAdmins.slm
has the phone numbers for HP licensing if you need special or urgent help.

otherwise you can contact them by email (listed on the same site) I have always found HP licensing to be helpful and quick in response to any issues that I may have.

Josh
What are the chances...
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

thankyou for all the informative answers
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

Is there seperate licensing for 700 series and 800 series
I mean will the codeword and customer ID meant for application CD ( HPUX 11i ) work irrespective of whether I am trying to install on a 700 or 800

Also is the codeword tied up with hostid from the machine

Basically I am about to buy this software on resale along with codeword and customer ID.
And I wanted to install it on my home hp-ux just for some code development for my own use.

So i just wanted to get an idea of the caveats in getting this work

thankyou
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The codeword and product numbers are different on the 700 and 800 series (between workstation and server) so you will not be able to use a codeword obtained for a server on a workstation, and vice versa, unless the product is specifically intended to run on either. (it would have 700_800 or similar in the description)

Josh
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

To add to my previous post,

the Customer ID and the codeword and the Media part number are a unique combination. using this trio, the SW can be installed on any system that it is compatiable with.

**GENERAL DISCLAIMER: you of course need a properly licensed copy of the software at each install point to avoid copyright infringement.**

When you install software, compatability will be checked, including system type, OS revision, required SW dependencies, etc. If you post the Product number of the SW you are trying to purchase, and the Platform it is being installed on, I should be able to tell you if you will be able to install it or not.

Josh
What are the chances...
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX 11i Operating Environment B3920-60305

Software pack 5066-0169

HP-UX 11i application software S7/800 5066-0163

these are the part number

thankyou very much for your time

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi martin,

The product numbers are different for 800's server to 700's workstation.
B5403BA is the workstation software part number and
B2491BA is the server software part number.
So therefore you cannot install the codeword given for one software version onto the other. It would simply not be available to install.
Also the licensing is different for both. For workstation's you normally only have to buy one license to install the software as you buy it per workstation. For servers you have to buy it per CPU so if you have 4cpu's in the server for example you have to buy 4 licences to be legal. You dont have to install 4 codeword's though, this is done on trust.
Andy
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the codeword is not tied to the hostid. However for older versions of hp-ux the product were different for servers / workstation. In those situation a product for server may not work for workstations.

Installing a product for which you have only one license on two systems would be violating the licensing agreement. It doesn't matter if the 2nd system is used for personal use only.

Hope this helps.

Regds