6015 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: messed up config of DS2100 on rp2470

Victor_101
Regular Advisor

messed up config of DS2100 on rp2470

Hi guys,
I├в m in sort of a mess. I have 2 rp2470 servers .. each one connected to their own DS2100 disk arrays.. (each) , these were connected on a 4 port scsi cards installed on the rp2470s. they were on path 0//4/0/1 . I wanted to connect an external Quantum DLT 8000 on the same connector for a short time .. so I disconnected one of the DS2100s from the server (say server 1) and instead connected it to the DLT drive. And started up the server. I found on the quantum website that some patches are required to use a Quantum8000 DLT on HP-UX 11iv1..since I was unable to install the individual patches due to the innumerable dependencies required I used the DLT patch set available on the HP site which contained all the required patches.. also I included all the drivers for tape drive into the kernel using SAM (including stape and tape2). The DLT was supposed to show up in the ioscan ├в fnC tape or just ioscan.. after a kernel rebuild and reboot├в ┬ж .. but it didn├в t .. so after trying all of the above in sequence over 2 days.. finally I tried connecting the DLT to the 2nd server ( say server 2) and reconnected the DS2100 on server1.. while on server2 after connecting the DLT ( I had previously added the drivers for the tape devices into the kernel and rebuild and rebooted) the ioscan still returned the DS2100 .. even though there was no physical connection to the disk array. Whilst on server 1 I could not find the DS2100 after connecting it back.. since this worried me I eliminated the DLT totally from the setup and restored everything back to the initial configuration..now I have lost both the DS2100 on both the servers├в ┬ж I even tried diagnose the missing disk in SAM but to no avail├в ┬ж I think I remember reading on one forum that u can force the driver on the path├в ┬ж can I do that ?? should I do that.. is there something basic that I├в m missing.. ofcourse from all the above.. u may have guess that I am pretty much the novice at HP and Unix in general.. and I am on a small time-constraint.. so ur prompt suggestions will be much appreciated..
6 REPLIES 6
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

You might want to attach the ioscan output. You mentioned a 4-port SCSI card. I'm not aware of any 4-port LVD SCSI card supported on the rp24xx servers, but we do support a couple of 4-port LVD SCSI *RAID* cards, neither of which supports tape devices.
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
So you really did a great Mess..
I suppose Quantum DLT 8000 to be a HVD and you connected it to LVD.
What is the o/p of ioscan -fnC disk now ?
Are you getting the DS2100's disk as claimed ?
Also have you connected it back as it was connected to the respective 4 ports.
Also If external terminator is involved
Is it terminated and earlier.
I can only advise you one thing at this stage:
Please connect the DS1200 as it was before
and do a clean shutdown of the system and restart.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Victor,

I responded to your previous thread on this subject
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=622617
that the DLT8000 is most likely a HV (High-Voltage) FWD (Fast-Wide-Differential) SCSI device, and guessed that you're connecting it to an LVD SCSI host interface. That appears to be the consensus opinion here, too. Please post an ioscan here (and you might want to assign points and post a closing message on the other thread to let folks know that this is your active thread). Also let us know what the DLT8000 model number is, so we can verify that it's indeed a HV FWD SCSI device.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The 4 port SCSI RAID card wouldn't support the DLT whether it is HVD or not. Not sure if the High Voltage Device would damage the card or not. Time to go to HP for help, but even that might not help.
Mom 6
Victor_101
Regular Advisor

alright guys.. i fixed it. or atleast moslty.. first of all i cofirmed that this model of the Quantum DLT is an LVD/SE so no worried.. i was getting the message at booting that IRMD was giving a severe error and the device on the path that was meant for the DS2100 was in failed state.. so i went to the IRM and just saw all the devices.. clicked on each of them to configure.. it told me nothing more to configure.. then it asked me to save.. i did and exited. then i did an ioscan -fn and voila!!! all is ok .. devices claimed.. did a mountall and my VGs on the DS2100 are back to life.. ... i have another problem still on one of the machines.. it says that the VG cannot be mounted when i try a VGCHANGE.. but the disks are claimed but in failed state in the IRM .
will post the output of the vgchange and lvmtab in an hour..
Victor_101
Regular Advisor